Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am GE DASH 8 Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1445124  by Engineer Spike

newpylong wrote:I like your signature. "I'll be back" - Guy Rioux. Is that still there too? lol

Sorry OT.
If you're referring to my signature, I don't think the Welcome all ye who enter the show that never ends is gone. A few years ago, Pan Am ran a special to Washington. I think it was when they won the Herriman Award. A friend and colleague was the engineer. D&H ran it donw to NS. Point is the trip left from Mohawk, so they put some lipstick on the pig, and cleaned up Mohawk a little.
 #1445211  by MEC407

I'll second that!

It would look great on one of the Dash 8-40Bs. A Baby Boat that grew up. :-)
 #1445229  by jaymac

amtrakhogger-
Thanks for keeping Papa Boule in front of folks' eyes!
 #1445258  by amtrakhogger

You are welcome. And remember, a grease job is not a bath!
 #1445342  by MEC407

From Sean Graham-White of the LocoNotes listserv, Union Pacific has just sold approximately 250 DASH 8 locos back to GE. Look for these to come on the market soon, and if it's true that PAR is considering adding more Dash 8s to the fleet, perhaps some might come from this ex-UP group.
 #1445352  by jaymac

Some might have already been on PAS pulling pigs and racks.
 #1445419  by MEC407

When are they going to start getting rid of the EMDs that the GEs are allegedly replacing? And which EMDs will be leaving?
 #1445487  by b&m 1566

Haven't they already started pulling some them from service? It may have been on facebook but I though someone mention the high nose's were running on borrowed time.
 #1445490  by KSmitty

They have pretty much removed things from service through attrition. Initially they had some laid up good order, but I believe right now everything OOS is B/O.
A lot are out for minor repairs, but they simply don't need them so why fix them?
 #1446261  by oibu

My interpretation/understanding, right or wrong, is that all lease units are off the property, better power balancing with NS should be occurring, and no PAR EMDs are leaving ( at least for now)... FWIW/YMMV but I have not heard or seen anything to suggest evidence of major EMD retirement being imminent.

Hopefully just means the leasers are off lease and all the trains on the west end won't look like just like NS in PA.
 #1448734  by Brian4449

What I was Told By a Pan Am Official at Glory Days is thats the EMD's will be working the eastern part of pan am and the GE's will be working the western part of pan am, and a mixture of both in the middle.
 #1448746  by Engineer Spike

That makes sense. Pan Am can more easily stay ahead in horsepower hours owed to NS, and CSX, since the 4000 hp units accrue it faster. The west end is where the heavier tonnage is too.