Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am GE DASH 8 Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1448905  by 690

Apparently there is a NS C40 and two more CSX B40s with GECX reporting marks at Selkirk... word is that they're either heading to Pan Am or taking a long roundabout trip to Erie.
 #1448977  by KSmitty

The B40's are likely to be replacements for a pair of units. I know ST has sent back at least 1 of the B's already.

Wonder if the C is to replace the one they still haven't managed to place in service?
 #1449004  by guilfordrailfan

KSmitty wrote:The B40's are likely to be replacements for a pair of units. I know ST has sent back at least 1 of the B's already.

Wonder if the C is to replace the one they still haven't managed to place in service?
AFAIK, there was only one B40 that was returned to GE and is awaiting a replacement, that being 5955. The other eleven on the property are more or less in service.

All 24 MEC C40's are now in service. 7523 which had been out of service since arriving in January, finally made its maiden run in mid-October. It would make sense that these other B's and C's are headed to Pan Am, but I have heard nothing of substance to confirm that that's the case.
 #1449011  by MEC407

I didn't realize they had 12 40Bs; somehow I thought it was a smaller quantity. Thanks for that update.

Should we expect some of the oldest/worst GP40s to be sold or scrapped in the near future? And if so, which ones?
 #1449016  by 690

Likely sold, to help fund more GE acquistions in the future. The straight GP40s will probably be the first to go, along with some of the 600s.
 #1449160  by flyingfox10

Heavier tonnage depends on the season. This summer there were a LOT of long and guessing heavy trains going through eastern Mass. Most I saw were pushing 110+ cars. I have never seen or heard of a train leaving Deerfield with that many cars.
 #1461208  by gokeefe

First rate "roster shot" if I've ever seen one. Great picture. Thanks for passing it along Dick.
 #1461262  by 690

Hux wrote:Progress, tortoise and hare style.
I mean, if you want to donate the money, and spare engine to fill in while another engine is being painted, I'm sure Pan Am wouldn't say no. But right now, Pan Am is pretty power short, and as usual, paint doesn't move trains.
 #1461384  by MEC407

It's nice to see them painting a locomotive during the winter months. There was a period of time when they didn't do that, allegedly because of the cost of keeping the paint shop heated.
 #1461430  by Mikejf

It is nice to see them painting anything, any time of year. Yes, it costs money, but also helps your public image.