Railroad Forums 

• B&M Gawking (District 2 Sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1319237  by BostonUrbEx

Yesterday I saw the Salem Rd and High St grade crossings in North Billerica were plowed out, and the west leg of the North Billerica wye was plowed as far north as I could see at both crossings. Snow must be well over 3 feet -- I'm not sure what did the job. This track had been snowed in since the very first storm up until yesterday morning or the day before.
 #1322303  by MEC407

Photo by Derek Carpine:

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=222695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video by Robert Selberg:

https://youtu.be/Hkgtdgn7shY?t=43s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternate caption for the photo and video: In an industry first, Pan Am Railways' Waterville Shops have undertaken a project to repower the company's EMD GP40 locomotives with rebuilt Alco 16-251F engines obtained from a Montreal scrap dealer. The first three repowered locomotives, seen here during their initial shake-down run, have been given the new designation 'GP430' — utilizing the traditional Alco Century Series nomenclature.
 #1323337  by 690

EDPO at Wells siding, 618/601/612, lots of empty centerbeams and propane. Not sure what they're doing, but there are several Pan Am trucks sitting around.

Edit: 681 just went through w/ 173 & 120, running about a half hour late.
 #1323349  by 690

DO-1 just went through Wells, 321/510 w/ spacer, and about twenty cars of propane. EDPO is still waiting on a recrew, Pan Am trucks are all gone.
 #1327797  by doublestack

In the video below it shows a PAR train heading east through Plaistow, N.H. There are several covered gondolas bound for somewhere up north. Does anyone have a clue where there headed? Could it possibly be to the gypsum mines in Nova Scotia? This is not the first time I've noticed these cars on Pan Am tracks in Maine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--mXfxd9iS4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Credit to Austin Mcswiggin for the clip.
 #1327799  by CN9634

doublestack wrote:In the video below it shows a PAR train heading east through Plaistow, N.H. There are several covered gondolas bound for somewhere up north. Does anyone have a clue where there headed? Could it possibly be to the gypsum mines in Nova Scotia? This is not the first time I've noticed these cars on Pan Am tracks in Maine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--mXfxd9iS4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Credit to Austin Mcswiggin for the clip.
Likely Turner's Island... they were moving some type of sand out of there last year. Also possible is Orrington as they are to move contaminated soils from there as well at some point. Gondola's with lids are a pretty good sign of something nasty that's going to move...
 #1327808  by doublestack

CN9634 wrote: Likely Turner's Island... they were moving some type of sand out of there last year. Also possible is Orrington as they are to move contaminated soils from there as well at some point. Gondola's with lids are a pretty good sign of something nasty that's going to move...
That makes sense. I completely forgot about the Orrington clean-up. From what I've heard, close to 100 loads could be hauled out of there. As for Turner's Island, not sure what's the game plan for that place. Thanks CN9634 for the feedback.
 #1327811  by MEC407

I've seen those covered gons at TIRR a few times in the past.
 #1331917  by MEC407

Video by Signal Hill Productions of SEPO through Old Orchard Beach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8SGLpYzk-o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1332906  by BostonUrbEx

Came across a westbound in Tewksbury on Sunday morning. Didn't catch the power so I don't know if it was a POSE or a POED. The last car was a reefer -- any idea where reefers are coming to/from?
 #1332913  by newpylong

Highliner in Portsmouth gets Reefers. Dunno about anyone else up up East that gets the many more. Isn't there someone next to Rigby getting them or are those plain boxes?
 #1332945  by WN&P

There was a customer on the SE side of Rigby getting the reefers sporadically last summer I think. Also there are the Cryotrans reefers coming down from New Brunswick every once and a while.
 #1334267  by WN&P

SEPO went through Dover around 8:30 this evening at a decent tick, a pretty long train too but I didn't count. DOBO left immediately after SEPO cleared the yard. 26 sand cars, I'm not sure if that normal for this time of year, but it seemed longer than usual to me.