Railroad Forums 

• B&M Gawking (District 2 Sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1505943  by 690

GP40MC1118 wrote:They must have set the detector off at MP213.5 (Saco/Biddeford). Don't see any siding at Kennebunk. Probably set it off at Saco.

D
That's because there isn't anywhere to set out a car in Kennebunk. If it was POAY, unless the car was pretty bad, it's more likely that it was set off in Wells, otherwise you're looking at a pretty lengthy shove to put it in at AR.
 #1506911  by BostonUrbEx

Hux wrote:MEC 514 through Wilmington with a starter model railroad consist of a box, low gon, tank and bulkhead flat of lumber. Headed inbound off the Wildcat towards the big city.
Hmm, mainline runaround at Anderson and then go up to the shop? No one down in Boston gets bulkhead flats of lumber.
 #1507713  by MEC407

Videos by 16th Ave Productions:

https://youtu.be/E7U9HA2kNXY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://youtu.be/L7uTpLSsnfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1513538  by Tom M

Passing through Dover, yesterday's (Tuesday, July 9) AYPO had some interesting cars in the consist. I think they were behind the Eimskips. There were a couple of long tanks, similar in size to a standard LPG car, with a short, stubby tank car in between. All were black with dark red ends, and displayed Dow Chemical logos toward the right end. There was another unfamiliar logo toward the left end that I couldn't make out from a distance. Following the tanks were a couple of other unusual cars with Dow logos that looked like they might be carrying some sort of testing or cleanup equipment. I wasn't in position and prepared for photos and hope someone else got a better look.
 #1513911  by PT1101

The CSX Safety Train equipment is parked on the turntable lead at Rigby. Unable to see how many cars are there. It looks as though the west end of Lawrence Yard is getting a few switch panels replaced. Lots of new ballast has been dropped and various track equipment is staged throughout the yard. Not sure if they're going to remove a track or two to improve on clearances between the tracks, or if it's just a straight switch for switch swap.
 #1534980  by rr503

Pardon a noob question, but was wondering if anyone here could explain Pan Am's ops out of Nashua. I've gleaned that NA-1, the only (?) local still working from that yard, works up to Wilton to the M-B interchange and to Concord for NEGS, but can't seem to get a sense of how many customers are left up on the old B&M in NH, or how cars get from Nashua to (I assume) E Deerfield. Any history of Pan Am/ST ops in the area would also be much appreciated.

Thanks much in advance!
 #1534985  by Trinnau

Last I knew there was also a night counterpart NA-2.

In terms of traffic mostly to/from Deerfield via EDNA/ED495/EDPO trains. Depending on what else was happening either that train would run to Nashua or would drop traffic in Lowell for the Nashua local to come pick up. Cars heading back just reverse the process. Nashua local would either bring cars down to the mainline or if a road job made it to Nashua they would come straight out.
 #1534999  by newpylong

There hasn't been a road job to Nashua for a very long time. They set the Nashuas off at NC on the Northern, or cut them off on the freight main if the local is waiting, or drop in Lowell. When I worked there EDNA was a three sided job and always had to reduce tonnage for the hill due to no telemetry. Healthy traffic.
 #1535090  by rr503

Thank you both for the replies -- it is much appreciated. Back when there existed more traffic up that way, what was it? Forest products stuff that disappeared with the general decline of the industry?