Railroad Forums 

• System Map

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1317841  by CN9634

In my brutal opinion, you guys are getting pretty nit picky with this. Surely it could use improvements but as the intended audience is businesses and potential shippers I would say it sufficiently covers PAR serviced areas. Besides, that is why you have market reps at all, to describe what the map is showing. I would have simply added intermodal, transload and warehouses then called it good.
 #1317882  by KSmitty

BostonUrbEx wrote:In a stunning coincidence, the system map has now been updated as of today, just four days after the thread was made.
I saw the updated map shortly after you posted this. It now seems to have reverted to the old version. Did anyone happen to save a copy of the updated version? Be willing to post it here or elsewhere?
 #1317897  by MEC407

I tried to upload it but the site isn't letting me.

As of right now the version I'm seeing on PAR's site appears to be the current version (it matches my 2015 paper map).

http://www.panamrailways.com/includes/t ... stemap.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1317903  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:I tried to upload it but the site isn't letting me.

As of right now the version I'm seeing on PAR's site appears to be the current version (it matches my 2015 paper map).

http://www.panamrailways.com/includes/t ... stemap.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite right, it loads the new version on my tanlet and the old on my PC. Must be a cookies issue...
 #1317944  by MEC407

Try clearing your browser cache. (The cache is where images are stored. It shouldn't be a cookie issue.)
 #1317968  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:Try clearing your browser cache. (The cache is where images are stored. It shouldn't be a cookie issue.)
Yep, problem solved. Thanks for the help.
 #1356717  by ewh

Just being picky, but the right of way below Fall River, MA was abandoned in 1980 and now is overgrown by 3 foot tall grass. The swing bridge over the Sakonnet River, linking Newport, RI with the mainland, was removed early in the 2000's. The State of Rhode Island says it might restore traffic sometime after 2030.......
 #1356881  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ewh wrote:Just being picky, but the right of way below Fall River, MA was abandoned in 1980 and now is overgrown by 3 foot tall grass. The swing bridge over the Sakonnet River, linking Newport, RI with the mainland, was removed early in the 2000's. The State of Rhode Island says it might restore traffic sometime after 2030.......
No, it is not abandoned. P&W never petitioned the STB to abandon its freight rights to Newport, so there is still an "active" operator with trackage rights on the entire dead section of the branch. Including over the missing bridge. Official status is railbanked, not landbanked, with P&W having rights to file (30 days?) due notice to Town of Tiverton for reactivation whenever it wants. No different than what Grafton & Upton has done to restore its mainline. The only wrinkle here is that P&W wouldn't be filing the reactivation to run freight to Newport; they would be filing reactivation on behalf of RIDOT to run passenger service between Newport and Fall River. Not filing for abandonment of freight trackage rights was a loophole P&W retained at RIDOT's request so they can sidestep the NIMBY's on a reactivation. The beachfront owners can scream and holler and Operation Chaos the upgrading of track to Class 3 passenger grade, but they are powerless to prevent reactivation with rehab up-to-spec to its most recent Class 1 active operating condition.

Fall River Branch in MA also isn't abandoned. It's embargoed south of the docks to Gold Medal Bakery, and then the last half-mile to the RI state line and the tank farm is railbanked. Mass Coastal has local rights to both those customers (Gold Medal is an active customer, but they take deliveries at the port instead of their old siding), and P&W has overhead rights through here. There's one missing grade crossing, but tracks will never be pulled up as long as MC has its finger on that state-line tank farm for future considerations.
 #1356946  by Mass Coastal 2010

Quick correction, the track below state line in RI was last used in 1988 as PW has rights to operate to Newport (As F-Line stated). Though very rare, the PW did run to Newport pre-1988.
-mike
 #1365505  by BostonUrbEx

Bouncing this out of the Intermodal Prospects thread:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:PAS is also still busy belatedly closing the gap on the 286K upgrade of the corridor that's running almost 2 years late. North Adams-west and Fitchburg-east got formally uprated as of November's loading weights system map update, but all points in the middle are still undergoing bridge work. As is the Conn River, which is still marked "pending". They'll be busy this spring finishing that up. Loading weight has much more immediate systemwide consequences at this exact moment. 286K already exists Ayer-Rigby, Ayer-Worcester, Ayer-Concord, Rigby-Danville, and Rigby-Brunswick...with the Portsmouth-Newington branch and NH Northcoast interchange @ Dover getting uprates soon. So the PAS delays leave all that pre-existing weight capacity virtually useless at present. They will have a lot more options to immediately tap systemwide if they can finally git-r'-dun this summer on the Corridor.
I checked the updated weight system map - http://www.panamrailways.com/includes/t ... Limits.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and noted something odd about it. 286K cars have been moving through the "pending" upgrade area on occasion with clearance paperwork specifying extra precautions. However, none of the none of the MBTA trackage except for the Freight Main Line is rated for 286K according to the map. But there have been occasional overweight cars to Peabody, as confirmed by GP40MC1118. Assuming the map is correct, does Keolis have to provide necessary paperwork for their territory in order to allow the car through? Or is the map just incorrect?
 #1365512  by KSmitty

So I just found the map from 2014, should it be worrisome that the target date for 286K across PAS was 2014?
WeightLimits.jpg
 #1365581  by F-line to Dudley via Park

KSmitty wrote:So I just found the map from 2014, should it be worrisome that the target date for 286K across PAS was 2014?
WeightLimits.jpg
November 2015 map update: http://www.panamrailways.com/includes/t ... Limits.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Rotterdam to North Adams and Fitchburg to Ayer are now 286 on the new map. P&W dropped the paper restriction from Barbers to Worcester Union (old news; map's been showing that for >year).

Estimated completion of the midsection and Conn River: "2015". Guess they had a real rip-roaring December scheduled. :P
 #1365594  by F-line to Dudley via Park

johnpbarlow wrote:Nit-pick: Interesting to see Pan Am suggesting they have usable trackage rights on 263K MBTA track to E Boston. Aerial view suggests otherwise, though

https://www.google.com/maps/place/East+ ... 9eb3acb8e6
They do. Until the NIMBY's defeated Global Petroleum's ethanol mixing operation PAS had a deal circa 2011-2012 to start nightly 30-car ethanol trains to Eastie. Switch to the Eastern Route was restored, brush clearing commenced, and service was projected 6 months away from starting before Global got slew-footed by the local politicians who passed every ban they could get away with to Operation Chaos it away.

Looks can be deceiving. If Global has another opportunity for them, half-mile of running track and as many Global-paid yard tracks as Global thinks it needs ain't no thing to get operable in a matter of few months. The track needs to be dug up and resurfaced, but the hardware itself was deemed in good condition. That's why it's advertised on the system map along with OOS holds like Mystic Wharf and South Peabody; it's a pick-up-and-go rehab job they can blitz in short order should a new customer go online.
 #1365646  by YamaOfParadise

Could be better talked about elsewhere, but is the NHHS work on the Springfield Line just leaving the track at 263k standard?