Railroad Forums 

• Rigby Yard — Activity, Sightings, and General Discussion

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1368276  by KSmitty

South Portland has say over the stationary storage facilities. But anything with wheels is covered by the STB. Pan Am can store as much LP as they want in Rigby, as long as its in rail cars. They can also transload LP from railcar to truck, as long as no freestanding infrastructure is built on the property. They cannot store LP on site in ground based tanks. This is covered by zoning laws, and not protected by the STB.

Isn't the facility NGL is looking to build a: 30,000 gallon storage tank and appropriate piping, compressors, pumps and fire suppression?
Doesn't a single rail car carry roughly 33,000 gallons?
 #1369371  by BM6569

Here we go. Looks like SoPo is gearing up to fight PAR to prevent them from having any type of propane operation on their property.

"Councilors Brad Fox and Eben Rose pleaded for the citizen-drafted proposal, saying that it was drafted to be able to fight Pan Am if it tried to establish a propane facility at Rigby Yard. Specifically, the councilors said they want to challenge often-upheld railroad pre-emption laws before the federal Surface Transportation Board.

“I think we have a chance,” Rose said.

When Mayor Tom Blake said he wasn’t “afraid of fighting the railroad,” Morgan said taxpayers might not support spending an estimated $500,000 or more in legal fees to take on that battle."

Then in the comments section:

"The Rigby Yard is a 200+ acre site , now sitting pretty much dormant ."

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/02/01/s ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1369566  by YamaOfParadise

Yeah, I don't imagine they'll fare much better than Grafton (MA) did if they're fighting PAR itself building and operating a propane transload in Rigby (as I previously talked about). I doubt NGL is going to be moving to Rigby (or SoPo at all) at this rate, though. Wonder if they're more competent than Grafton and will actually fill out their legal filings properly :wink:
 #1375905  by MEC407

Not exactly ideal for a terminal that's meant to serve Cumberland and York counties. :wink: