Railroad Forums 

• Current PAR/PAS Train Symbols

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1257674  by Rockingham Racer

Engineer Spike wrote:I'm not sure if it changed, but Bow coal trains were HNB, withe a number corresponding to how many ran so far in the period of time, likely for the year.
Spike, I think you did a typo. It's NHB.
 #1257843  by fogg1703

FWIW offline coal trains are symboled as follows:

Bow Trains depending on point of origin:
NS 532 Loads from Shire Oakes PA
NS 533 Empties
NS 888 Loads from Williamson WV
NS 889 Empties

When Mt Tom was getting CSXT coal trains:
RJMT V710-V725 Depending on point of origin
MTRJ E821 or E822 Empties
 #1257963  by KSmitty

On the topic of coal trains, does Bow get any coal through the Port of Providence/P&W?
I know Mt. Tom used to, PWMT/MTPW...but don't know about Bow.
 #1258122  by KSmitty

NBWA, the unit slurry train from VRS, does that still run, or do they just tack it onto a manifest?
 #1258124  by 690

They just tack it on now.
 #1280971  by 690

Heard D1 tell WANM's crew being told that they were going to switch trains with NSWA's crew (going to assume New Brunswick Southern is the NS here).
 #1281199  by KSmitty

They changed up the symbols in D1 again recently. BAMA/MABA are back. NMWA/WANM as you mentioned. BKNM/NMBK. Pretty much a yard by yard hop down as symbols go and a long stretch from even last fall when the had WABK/BKWA, SJPO/POSJ and POWA covering the state. I noticed that even though the symbol may change, the equipment is still running pretty much as before. Just now instead of a unit leaving Rigby on POSJ for Keag, it leaves on POWA, hops up to NMJ on WANM and onto Keag as MABA.

The new symbol structure does cut a couple road crews out, if they were running both POWA and POSJ each day, and another if WABK was daily. Must also simplify tracking this stuff, since the symbols are all roughly what a crew can do in 8, so there should be much fewer duplicate symbols.
 #1287209  by Engineer Spike

Bow coal trains were NHB#. The number signifies which one for the year. If one ran on 1January, it would be NHB1. Then next one would be NHB2............
 #1287220  by Trinnau

Engineer Spike wrote:Bow coal trains were NHB#. The number signifies which one for the year. If one ran on 1January, it would be NHB1. Then next one would be NHB2............
Not quite, they are the order/load number from the plant (or something to that effect), and they usually change back to 1 sometime in the late winter/early spring.
 #1287272  by markhb

Which locations are indicated by the BAMA symbol?
 #1287451  by markhb

Thanks... I should've figured that out, except is "Bangor" in this instance a physically distinct place from Northern Maine Junction? I'm wondering why they wouldn't use NMMA/MANM unless there is a difference between the two.
 #1287453  by necr3849

markhb wrote:Thanks... I should've figured that out, except is "Bangor" in this instance a physically distinct place from Northern Maine Junction? I'm wondering why they wouldn't use NMMA/MANM unless there is a difference between the two.
Give it a week, and everything will probably have a new flavor!
 #1301647  by 690

WABA was being used this afternoon.