Railroad Forums 

• Current PAR/PAS Train Symbols

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1256314  by KSmitty

I'm trying to put together a list of current symbols.
I've got:
Road Trains:
SJWA/WASJ - Daily Manifest between Keag and Waterville, NBSR interchange traffic.
WABK/BKWA - Daily Manifest between Bucksport and Waterville. VERSO traffic.
WAPO/POWA - Daily Manifest between Waterville and Rigby.
WAAY/AYWA - Manifest between Waterville and Ayer. (NBSR Interchange? Extra?)
PORU/RUPO - Daily Manifest between Rigby and Rumford. Works Danville, N. Leeds, Riley's Rumford.
PORI/RIPO - As needed RUPO/PORU extra (?).
DJJC - As Needed Unit Chemical between Danville and Jones Chemical. (Returns in manifest or as JCDJ?)
EDPO/POED - Daily Manifest between Rigby and E. Deerfield.
POSE/SEPO - Daily Manifest between Rigby and Barbers. CSX interchange traffic. CSX Q426/427.
DOBO/BODO - As Needed (3/week in the summer) Unit Gravel between Dover (NHN) and Boston Sand and Gravel.
22K/23K - Daily Intermodal between Ayer and Mohawk. CP 934/935.
205/206 - Daily Auto between Willows and Mohawk. CP 938/939.
RJAY/AYRJ - As Needed Unit Grain between Willows and Rotterdam. CSX G414/415.
495ED/ED495 - Daily (?) Manifest between Ayer and E. Deerfield. Works Fitchburg (?), Gardner, Ayer. Local traffic.
190ED/ED190 - Manifest between Fitchburg and E. Deerfield. (Still used?)
EDMO/MOED - Manifest between E. Deerfield and Mohawk. NS/CP Interchange. (Daily?)
EDRJ/RJED - Manifest between E. Deerfield and Rotterdam. PAS-CSX interchange. (Daily?) CSX Q633 Tues-Sat, Selkirk-RJ turn.
EDPL/PLED - Manifest between E. Deerfield and Plainville. Conn River south traffic. (Every other day?)
EDBF/BFED - Manifest between E. Deerfield and Bellows Falls. Conn River north traffic. (How often?)
PWBO/BOPW - As Needed Unit Limestone between Bow and Barbers.
RJMA/MARJ - As Needed Unit Oil between Keag and Rotterdam. CSX K001/002.
BOMO/MOBO - As Needed Unit Coal between Bow and Mohawk. CP 936/937.

Locals and Switchers:
OT-1 - Old Town Mill/Yard Switcher, works NMJ.
BK-1 - Bucksport Mill/Yard switcher. (Just 1 switcher?)
SAPPI-1 - SAPPI Hinkley Switcher, Works Waterville to Hinkley.
SAPPI-2 - SAPPI Hinkley Switcher, Works Waterville to Hinkley.
SAPPI-3 - SAPPI Hinkley Switcher, Works Waterville to Hinkley. (Are there 3 SAPPI's a day?)
WA-1 to WA-3 - Waterville Yard Switcher, Switches Detroit/Augusta. WA-1, WA-2, WA-3 all used.
RU-1 - Rumford Yard/Mill Switcher. (just one Rumford Switcher?)
RI-1 - Riley's Yard/Mill Switcher. (Just 1 Verso Switcher?)
DJ-1 - Danville Junction Switcher. Switches Danville, International Paper.
DJ-X - Danville Extra.
PO-1 to PO-8 - Rigby Area Switchers. Works Brunswick, Westbrook, Rigby, Dover, Portsmouth. PO-1, PO-2, PO-3, PO-4, PO-5, PO-6, PO-7, PO-8 all used.
PO-1: Switches Deering Jct, SAPPI Westbrook.
PO-2: Switches Imerys in yard 6 South Portland, and Merrill's Marine Terminal and NGL in yard 8 in Portland.
PO-3: Rigby switcher first shift Monday-Friday.
PO-4: Rigby switcher Saturday-Wednesday, relief job for PO-3 and PO-5.
PO-5: Rigby 2nd shift switcher Wednesday-Sunday.
PO-6: Rigby 3rd shift switcher Monday-Friday.
PO-7: Rigby switcher for 2 nights and does local work the other 3.
PO-8: Rigby early morning switcher, Monday-Friday.
DO-1 - Dover Switcher, Based at Rigby, uses PO-# interchangeably. Switches customers between Rigby and Portsmouth.
PH-1 - Portsmouth Switcher, Based at Rigby, uses PO-# interchangeably. Switches DO-1's customers on Sundays. Handles DOBO/BODO as needed.
LA-1 - Lawrence Yard Switcher, Works Boston area.
LA-2 - Lawrence Yard Switcher, Works Lawrence/Somerville.
LA-3 - Lawrence Yard Switcher, Works Lowell/Billerica Shop/Lawrence.
LA-4 - Lawrence Yard Switcher, Relief for any LA-#.
NA-1 to NA-2 - Nashua Yard Switchers, Works Northern Main Line. NA-1, NA-2 both used.
AY-1 to AY-5 - Ayer Yard Switchers, Works Ayer Area. AY-1, AY-2, AY-3, AY-4, AY-5 all used.
FI-1 to FI-2 - Fitchburg Yard Switchers. FI-1, FI-2 both used.
RJ-1 to RJ-3 - Rotterdam Junction Switcher. RJ-1, RJ-2, RJ-3 all used.
AD-1 to AD-2 - North Adams area Switcher. AD-1, AD-2 both used.
ED-1 - E. Deerfield Yard Switcher, Hump Switcher, Mon-Fri.
ED-2 - E. Deerfield Local.
ED-3 - E. Deerfield Yard Switcher, Hump Relief. Weds-Sun
ED-4 - E. Deerfield Local.
ED-5 - E. Deerfield Yard Switcher.
ED-6 - E. Deerfield Yard Switcher, Hump Relief. Sat-Weds.
ED-7 - E. Deerfield Yard Switcher, 3rd shift Hump Switcher.
PL-1 - Plainville Yard Switcher, works Conn River South customers from Berlin to Waterbury.
BF-1 - Bellows Falls Switcher. Works Conn River North customers.

I realize some (RJMA/MARJ or RJAY/AYRJ) might not be currently used, or used only sporadically as traffic demands, but they are the current symbols for a unit oil or unit grain train when they run. I'm not looking for old symbols like NMED, just the most recently used. If anyone can help fill in holes, answer questions in the ( ) or eliminate symbols they no longer use I'd appreciate it! I'll update the list as needed.

Edited 3/11/2014 10:47AM
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:22 am, edited 8 times in total. Reason: PO-7 and PO-8 descriptions
 #1256321  by GP40MC1118

LA-2 (Lawrence/Somerville)
LA-3 (Lowell/Billerica Shop/Lawrence)

LA-4 usually cabs to Somerville.

D
 #1256325  by newpylong

I will get some more info for you out west.

There is AD-2, ED1-5. And RJ1-3.
 #1256353  by 690

WA-1 - WA-3 are all used, although WA-2 was mostly for the job to Madison iirc.
 #1256358  by KSmitty

newpylong wrote:ED 1 through 5 and RJ 1 through 3, not 1,5 and 1,3 :)
I guess I need to actually right them all out...Hopefully clarified now.

Thanks for the info on Waterville, the yard seems to always have something going but I was never sure how many WA crews they had. MOBO added in, couldn't think of the symbol for the coal trains. Do they still ever run anything to Mt. Tom, or is that a lost cause at this point?
 #1256446  by KSmitty

atholrail wrote:ED1 - 1st trick hump job, Sat/ Sun off.
ED2 - Local.
ED3 - 2nd trick hump job, Mon/Tues off.
ED4 - Local.
ED5 - Abolished.
ED6 - Hump relief job, Thur/Fri off.
ED7 - 3rd trick hump job.
Added and updated. Thank you!
 #1256468  by fogg1703

Cheers to starting this thread KSmitty! It beats the scratch pad next to the keyboard. Others of note:

DOBO/BODO triweekly during construction season?
RIPO/PORI used occasionally

And if you really want to take it a step further
AYRJ is CSXT G415
RYAY is CSXT G414
MARJ is CSXT K002
RJMA is CSXT K001
SEPO is CSXT Q426
POSE is CSXT Q427
22K is CP 934
23K is CP 935
MOBO is CP 936
BOMO is CP 937
206 is CP 938
205 is CP 939
 #1256492  by MEC343

DO-1 switches mainline customers between Rigby and Rockingham, switches the customers on the Saco Industrial track, and switches customers in Portsmouth/Newington. PH-1 does DO-1 customers on Sundays, and DOBO/BODO Monday-Thursday. They are based out of Dover, NH.
 #1256532  by gokeefe

MEC343 wrote:DO-1 switches mainline customers between Rigby and Rockingham, switches the customers on the Saco Industrial track, and switches customers in Portsmouth/Newington. PH-1 does DO-1 customers on Sundays, and DOBO/BODO Monday-Thursday. They are based out of Dover, NH.
What about the interchange with Maine Eastern? Isn't that usually DO-1 as well?
 #1256534  by johnpbarlow

Is the BOMO/MOBO terminology normally used for radio communications? I usually hear "empty coal train" or "loaded coal train" on the scanner so I thought the symbols ECT/LCT were used but I could be making this up.