Railroad Forums 

• Current PAR/PAS Train Symbols

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1458770  by flyingfox10

Havent heard WAAY or AYPO in awhile. Keep seeing that traffic on the back of other freights.

Only trains to the NS have the NS run through power. NS crews do not actually run the trains.

Theres also the Boston, Lawrence, and Nashua locals as well.
 #1458837  by KSmitty

WAAY/AYPO havent been run much, but Im pretty sure they've run a few times this fall. Even if they run straight through, no Rigby work, they have freight with the water. Sappi traffic for Tighe up front.

We also didnt mention PL-1.
 #1458980  by johnpbarlow

Apparently, as of 1/27/18, NS has changed the Binghamton to E Deerfield portion of the 14R train symbol to 16R so it's now 14R from Enola to Binghamton and 16R from Binghamton to E Deerfield.
 #1459672  by BostonUrbEx

newpylong wrote:There's also the RJ, XO and ED locals. Unsure of numbers these days.
XO-1 is the only Mechanicville-based job, but there's RJ-1, RJ-2, and I think there was an RJ-3 which acted as a relief job for all of the aforementioned. ED-2 is the Conn River local five nights a week, and I think The Hump was covered by at least ED-3 and ED-4.
 #1469781  by BostonUrbEx

Anyone know what happened to the unit ethanol trains, 66N? They were interchanged from NS to PAS at Mohawk, from PAS to P&W at Gardner, and then they made their way to Providence. Haven't heard of one in a long time, but don't specifically remember anyone noticing their discontinuance, either.

EDIT: Latest reference I can find to a 64V (apparently a re-designation from 66N) is late 2016.
 #1469788  by johnpbarlow

BostonUrbEx wrote:Anyone know what happened to the unit ethanol trains, 66N? They were interchanged from NS to PAS at Mohawk, from PAS to P&W at Gardner, and then they made their way to Providence. Haven't heard of one in a long time, but don't specifically remember anyone noticing their discontinuance, either.

EDIT: Latest reference I can find to a 64V (apparently a re-designation from 66N) is late 2016.
CSX also delivered ethanol trains to P&W at Worcester for conveyance to the Motiva facility at Providence. The attached article suggests that Motiva operated terminal is no longer in operation but I can't be sure:
"...Motiva, the company that operated the terminal until its dissolution earlier this year, is also named in the suit. Company officials did not respond to a request for comment...."
Article: https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/20 ... idence-ri/

This March 2017 article suggests that Shell is now the operator of the tank farm but that it receives petroleum products via barge/ship:
http://www.rifuture.org/saudi-arabia-motiva-pvd/

Article excerpts:
"...According to Motiva, in Providence it “has 26 tanks which store six (6) different grades of petroleum products, and various additives. Products are received via ships and barges and shipped via truck or barges.” Michael Sullivan, who manages the Providence Motiva facility, declined to comment on the deal....The Environmental Justice League of Rhode Island, and others, have been advocating to cease ethanol trains in Providence, as is the case in Boston, and to stop any expansion of LNG, saying the business pits multinational profits against neighborhood health and prosperity...."
 #1507475  by Plate C

PBMcGinnis wrote: Symbols - they are mix of NS and Pan Am symbols depending on where you are.
This covers Mechanicville to Ayer trains you might see...

Between Mechanicville and Ayer
14R - NS freight from Enola/Binghamton to East Deerfield
11R - westbound of above
28N - Autos from Mechanicville to Ayer with stop in Gardner
287 - westbound of above
22K - intermodal from Mechanicville to Ayer
23K - westbound intermodal Ayer to Mechanicville
I2K - 2nd section of 22K as needed
I3K - 2nd section of 23K as needed
RJED - CSX connection at Rotterdam Jct to East Deerfield
EDRJ - westbound CSX connection
AD-1 - East Deerfield to North Adams and Return Local
BF-1 -Bellows Falls local
EDBF/BFED - East Deerfield to Bellows Falls, VT to VTR connection, sometimes runs exclusively as Slurry Unit Train
EDPL/PLED - Trains from East Deerfield to Plainville, CT and return
EDPO/POED - East Deerfield to Portland and vice versa
ED-8 - East Deerfield to Gardner, Fitchburg and Ayer
ED-9 reverse direction of ED-8
SEPO / Q426 CSX connection from Worcester to Portland via Ayer
POSE / Q427 westbound CSX connection via Worcester

Can anyone confirm if this is still accurate? Approximate times for these trains? Also curious if someone can direct me to where I can get the mileposts that would be appreciated.
 #1507505  by johnpbarlow

Re: Pan Am train symbol list accuracy, 28N and 287 currently do not operate east of Buffalo on NS. Loaded auto racks to be unloaded at Mechanicville are forwarded from Buffalo on IM train 206 while loaded racks for both P&W at Gardner and Sanvel at Ayer run on 22K's headpin from Buffalo. Westbound ED-9 / POED pick-up empty racks for delivery to Mechanicville via 11R (I think) where 205 takes them west to Buffalo for 287. Also, I've never heard of symbols I2K or I3K being used on Pan Am. Net: there are only 5 daily road trains operating on PAS between Mechanicville and E Deerfield: 22K/23K, EDPO/POED, and either ED-8 or ED-9 running on alternate days. Between E Deerfield and Mechanicville, there should be 6 daily road trains: 22K/23K, 11R/14R, and EDRJ/RJED.

Also CSX now operates a local Worcester-Ayer-Worcester turn B728 that forwards cars for AYPO from Q426 and pick-up cars from POAY for Q427. SEPO/POSE symbols are no longer used.
 #1507512  by Plate C

Thank you both. Getting info here is sometimes difficult, so much appreciated.
Any info on days/times you can give would also help, I might get lucky to see something about 11am at ED but otherwise, overall, I've found this to be a sit and wait operation.
Re: mileposts, I did find and use that link, best I've found for now, but it could be a little clearer and a little less 'busy.' If you come across a list for PanAm please let me know.

Side question- was at ED yesterday around lunch and caught NS tied down in Greenfield awaiting recrew, guessing that's 22K? Curious where it originates and terminates. Yesterday's train had 7 engines on it, far more than needed for sure. 2-3 NS and I believe the rest were CITX engines. Was wondering if they were dropping some off or if the return train is much larger.

Again, much appreciated. Happy train hunting!