Railroad Forums 

• POSE / SEPO (Portland - Selkirk trains)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1373914  by BostonUrbEx

johnpbarlow wrote:
newpylong wrote:SEPO just derailed and tore up the west end of the Hill yard.
Detours via Gardner if there's room to switch ends?
I don't think the switch at the west end of Track 9 is quite that important. :wink:

SEPO still completed their work and carried on.
 #1373977  by neman2

Does anyone know why SEPO/POSE has had three units for power lately? It doesn't seem like there's a drastic increase in length. I would think Pan Am would object since I think there would be additional horsepower-hour charges.
 #1373984  by johnpbarlow

neman2 wrote:Does anyone know why SEPO/POSE has had three units for power lately? It doesn't seem like there's a drastic increase in length. I would think Pan Am would object since I think there would be additional horsepower-hour charges.
SEPO/POSE set out and pick up blocks at Hill Yd Ayer so perhaps tonnage between Ayer and Selkirk warrants the use of three AC (usually) locomotives?
 #1374023  by drcrf93

neman2 wrote:Does anyone know why SEPO/POSE has had three units for power lately? It doesn't seem like there's a drastic increase in length. I would think Pan Am would object since I think there would be additional horsepower-hour charges.
According to pictures and reports I have seen, CSX has been putting three units on most of the manifests that run between Selkirk and points on the B&A since about last October. It has actually been really cool to see Dash 8's and older GEVO's on Pan Am territory that you would hardly ever see with just the two unit lashups.
 #1378761  by SpiderHill

I was heading through Ayer about 7:30pm this evening and four PAR units were coming off the east wye with a train. The general freight looked like SEPO traffic (Sappi boxcars, etc.) with 30 containers tacked on the end.
 #1378898  by Ironman

The tonnage limit over the mountains was increased to 10,700 in order to run fewer trains. Two engines would stall every time at that tonnage, they used to struggle with 8,000 tons. Due to traffic patterns into N.E., eastbound trains tend to be short but heavy, being mostly loads. Westbounds tend to be longer and lighter being mostly emptys and thus can have more cars. The westbound grade is also steeper and has more curvature.
 #1378902  by Ironman

johnpbarlow wrote:
SEPO/POSE set out and pick up blocks at Hill Yd Ayer so perhaps tonnage between Ayer and Selkirk warrants the use of three AC (usually) locomotives?
It'll be 2 AC's and 1 DC on the freight trains, can't have 3 AC's online.
 #1379091  by Z31SPL

SEPO under Kingston Rd in Plaistow yesterday at 630pm. Was pretty short for a SEPO maybe 20-30 cars
Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (492.41 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
photo 4 (2).JPG
photo 4 (2).JPG (402.79 KiB) Viewed 3032 times
 #1379334  by gokeefe

Video of SEPO from 4/2/2016 showing 15 Eimskip containers on the end of the train. I'm guessing this is the usual Saturday shipment from the International Marine Terminal.