Railroad Forums 

• EDMO / MOED / EDRJ / RJED / 11R / 14R

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1535975  by Plate C

jaymac wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:05 pm Plate C-
Depending on when you saw them, the MT racks coulda been those on the tail of the ED-9 holding at Parkers predawn 03-06.
Possibly, but it looked like it would have made a big tail. There was a line of mixed freight that diasappeared into the yard that looked like it had a rack or two at the end. The empties I saw looked to be two lines worth. I didn't really stop to check out the power but it looked like what they used on the WB auto train a few days ago.
 #1536003  by johnpbarlow

A self-described "heavy" 16R led by rebuild AC44C6M NS4122 departed Binghamton on 3/6/20 at 2:30pm. As AC44C6M units don't have steerable trucks, I'm guessing its power will need to be swapped somewhere before hopping on VRS rails at Hoosick Jct.
 #1536768  by Plate C

There is an EB auto train, possibly in VT now for those interested. Would love to know about the WB.
I passed by ED today and saw another detour train that had just arrived but it had come in from the West end. Is that how they're being run now? I had thought they were arriving from the East end.
 #1536825  by newpylong

Plate C wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 pm There is an EB auto train, possibly in VT now for those interested. Would love to know about the WB.
I passed by ED today and saw another detour train that had just arrived but it had come in from the West end. Is that how they're being run now? I had thought they were arriving from the East end.
Come and go out the West End of the yard. The east end doesn't go anywhere helpful for a detour as far as Deerfield traffic is concerned.
 #1536865  by pumpers

I'm not very familiar with the details of New England railroading. My question is, why are they using a the Miller Falls interchange, which wasn't in such good shape. Could they not have gotten on PAS at Northfield, and then went through East Deerfield to head east? It doesn't look that much longer than using the Millers Falls interchange.

Related, is it right that PAS can run its own trains all the way from White RIver Jct to Northfield. So if they went got off NECR at Northfield, then NECR would not be involved in this operationally (such as crews ...), and they just get a per-car fee from PAS?

JS
MEC407 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:23 pm Relevant post from the VRS thread:
Dick H wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:47 pm NS and CSX got into a dispute on moving auto rack and container trains. So NS and PAR, along with the NECR and the VRS opened a second routing. Begins at Crescent (west of Mechanicville) up the CP (D&H) to Whitehall NY, over to Rutland and Bellows Falls on the VRS, down to Millers Falls on the NECR and east to Gardner and Ayer on PAR. NS assembled five GP38-2 locos and moved 50 autoracks today. NS symbol was 27W.

Thanks to New England Rail for this video at West Royalston MA, 4:24 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdwKElYC1QM
 #1536866  by newpylong

The Greenfield tunnel cannot handle autoracks but they;re using that routing for non-clearance traffic.

Yes to your second section - they have trackage rights on the NECR from East Northfield to White River Junction. Al PAS crews there. NECR when they go south to Millers.
 #1536869  by pumpers

Thanks, The Greenfield tunnel (Main St. overpass)! That's what I was missing. It all makes sense now.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1536928  by johnhenry

Slightly off topic, but according to the excellent new book, "Iron Roads of the Monadnock Region", the original route of the first railroad in the region, the Vermont and Massachusetts", completed track westward from Fitchburg thru Millers Falls and up to Brattleboro in 1848, 2 years before it completed the 8 mile "branch" to Greenfield (which became the main route once the Hoosac Tunnel was built).
 #1537203  by GU1001

11R with 9 engines prepping to leave Deerfield west @ 7:10pm.
4 NS GP38-2s followed by 5 GEs - all 4 axles.
NS 5104 in the lead. Clean fresh looking paint with what seems like a replacement or repaired cab. Angled portion of the roof is different than the others.
 #1537207  by MEC407

5104 was rebuilt in 2018, and a new NS-designed cab was part of the rebuild process. It's also equipped for remote control operation.

Photo by D.J. Miller: https://www.facebook.com/altoonaworks/p ... =3&theater