Railroad Forums 

• MEDOT District 1 crossing upgrades.

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1531360  by backroadrails

In the MEDOT 2020 work plan there are several crossings in Bangor, Carmel, Etna, and Newport that are having new crossing protection added. Crossings include Front Street in Bangor, ME (#365361N) which is priced out at $96,000.00 which I would assume will cover the cost of a crossing rehab, which is needed if they still haven't replaced the broken rail from I believe last spring. Station Rd. in Etna, ME (#365256M) which is priced at $65,000.00 which could either be for better crossing protection, or a crossing rehab since the crossing is in bad shape. Route 143 in Etna, ME (#365257U) which was rehabbed last year, which the money in this case will most likely go towards crossing protection improvements, this crossing is priced out at $81,000.00 which some of this could also be going towards the Station rd crossing since the two are almost next to each other. Old Bangor Rd. in Newport, ME (#365254) which is priced at $160,000.00 this money is most likely going towards the replacement of the crossing, and upgrade of the signals at the north crossing (Old Bangor rd had two crossings) since the town is looking to pave that road, and the crossing was last replaced around 1983. Stetson Rd in E.Newport, ME (#365251D) which is priced at $154,000.00 and will most likely be for improved crossing protection (the crossing was rehabbed in 2012 and again this past summer) and the crossing for the siding which hasn't been rehabbed in the past two crossing rehabs at this location, with the exception of having new asphalt added both times. Both the Old Bangor Rd. crossing and the Stetson Rd crossing(s) are at the bottom of a hill, and the town and DOT in years past have looked at improving the drainage at the two crossings. These crossing projects can be found under the Penobscot County sub-section in this link: https://www.maine.gov/mdot/projects/wor ... 4_2020.pdf
 #1531362  by backroadrails

I forgot to add, a few times last spring while chasing WAMA, the signals at both Old Bangor Rd. crossings, Stetson Rd, and the two crossings in Etna shut off after the train went by, and would reactivate about 5 minutes after the train passed. From what I observed they could stay on for 5-10 minutes before shutting off again, and from Facebook posts on the Pan Am Railfans group, they have stayed on for almost 5 hours. One of the chases I did, which the crossing (Stetson Rd.) I called the 1-800 number and from what the person at Pan Am said, it happens when train exceed a certain car length for some reason.