Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Coal Trains

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1524386  by GU1001

If I recall correctly, in the late 80s to early 90s timeframe, Conrail had an 8000 ton weight restriction on the head pin for the B&A. I do recall seeing helpers on a coal train on one occasion. One of my favorite memories from that timeframe is a loaded coal drag stopped for a crew change at the top of Charlton hill. The 4 C30-7A’s put on quite a show getting it moving again! The sound & the stack fires, you don’t get that show anymore.
Would a CSX routing have more to do with the origin of the coal? Less interchange = a cheaper rate?
 #1524414  by 690

CSX routing is likely because they won some bid to provide the coal trains, as CP and NS have in the past. As has been mentioned already, it makes no sense for CSX to run them over Pan Am Southern, and cut NS in on part of the profit, hence the Worcester main routing. I wouldn't be surprised to see the coal trains running with DPU over CSX, and up to Ayer for a power swap with Pan Am, which can use a trio of C40s from Ayer to Bow.
 #1524460  by roberttosh

Back when the coal trains were running on the B&A there could be up to 10 through trains running daily on the Worcester-Ayer segment. How times have changed...
 #1524561  by newpylong

I remember SENE, NESE, ML-(whatever the Ford rack symbols were called). Then the random coal and local extras. What were the others?
 #1524562  by roberttosh

SENE/NESE (Selkirk/Portland)
SENA-LA / NA-LASE (Selkirk/Nashua or Lawrence, Changed back and forth)
ML438/ML439 (West Springfield/Ayer-Ford)
TV95/TV96 (Worcester/Waterville Hunt intermodal)

Plus the coal trains, the occasional local and of course WOGR/GRWO on the joint PW/PAS stretch. Once Conrail was split up the second Selkirk manifest set, the Ford train and the TV trains quickly disappeared. The coal trains were already shifted to the Fitchburg by then.
 #1524672  by CPF363

If coal trains do in fact return to the Worcester Line, one wonders if the line will receive any repairs to handle those heavy trains once again.
 #1524857  by newpylong

If it was long term traffic maybe, but it's not. They will poke along at 10 MPH just like the Northern.
 #1524878  by Rockingham Racer

When I lived in Tyngsboro in the early 60s, 10 MPH was their speed even back then. The milk train made good time, though.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1526345  by troffey

Reports of a CSX coal train en route to Worcester, to head up the Worcester Main and on to Bow.
 #1526450  by Jedijk88

CSX unit coal train cleared downtown Westfield MA at 15:42. They were hauling arse.
 #1526456  by NYC27

Did they run it with DP?
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting