Railroad Forums 

• New Paint

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#993298  by Tadman

Absolutely. Scuttlebut is that all repaints will get this scheme. Looks like a pricey paintjob compared to blue dip. That said, the railfan in me is glad to see them quit using the ARR scheme or the atrocious RailAmerica scheme. If they wanted to save money, use the blue dip. If not, do red/yellow.

(according to another picture of 714 in new paint at the same website).
 #993531  by Noel Weaver

I don't think there are any more repaints planned. We were told that one engine would be painted in a historic scheme a few months ago and this is it. Maybe sometime down the road but the present paint on the other locomotives is in generally good condition. This engine (714) will be on the "Toys for Tots" special on Saturday, December 10th from Bowden (Jacksonville to Hialeah along with business cars Azalea and St. Augustine. It will be a nice classy train on a classy railroad.
Noel Weaver
 #1072676  by XBNSFer

Tadman wrote:Absolutely. Scuttlebut is that all repaints will get this scheme. Looks like a pricey paintjob compared to blue dip. That said, the railfan in me is glad to see them quit using the ARR scheme or the atrocious RailAmerica scheme. If they wanted to save money, use the blue dip. If not, do red/yellow.

(according to another picture of 714 in new paint at the same website).
Actually, the "ARR scheme" is the early BNSF "Grinstein Green/cream" scheme, itself derived from the BN "Grinstein Green/cream" scheme, with ARR colors substituted; it uses basically the same masks, if you compare the three schemes. ARR ordered its SD70MACs as a "tack on" order to a batch of BNSF units, which helped to minimize the costs for such a small order.

Look familiar?? ;)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 600&nseq=5

P.S. As for the Railamerica scheme, don't be too hard on it. Just think of those as "bicentennial" units. :) Even I saw those only in magazines or books, wasn't old enough to drive back then. ;)
 #1113761  by Tadman

Interesting, makes a bit more sense now. Given that FEC was originally red w/ yellow stripe, it's too bad they didn't use the BNSF masks with red, rather than blue as the main color. It'd be pretty close to FEC streamliner red/yellow.
 #1117634  by Noel Weaver

More repaints are in the works and I think nearly everybody on here will love the results. More soon.
Noel Weaver
 #1125213  by Noel Weaver

Engines 703 and 713 will apprear in the not too distant future in the same beautiful paint that 714 is in. I have heard that all repaints will be in the red and yellow. I did not think this would happen but I am glad to be wrong on this one.
Noel Weaver
 #1164149  by Noel Weaver

Here is a video of engine 703 with a beautiful paint job on its first trip south going through Fort Lauderdale. Incidentally the caboose in the background is on a piece of dead rail and hasn't moved in ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR2AhDqw ... e=youtu.be

It was on train 121 this morning and 121 had a big train. Hope you enjoy watching it.
Noel Weaver
 #1166437  by Tadman

Here's what I don't get - when they ordered those SD70's a few years ago, and they had so little imagination as to completely borrow the Alaska RR paint job, they could have substituted red for the blue and had a perfect modern FEC look. Red/yellow/red. Very little thought or effort required.
 #1166489  by Noel Weaver

Tadman wrote:Here's what I don't get - when they ordered those SD70's a few years ago, and they had so little imagination as to completely borrow the Alaska RR paint job, they could have substituted red for the blue and had a perfect modern FEC look. Red/yellow/red. Very little thought or effort required.
Mr. Hertwig was not president of the FEC at the time the first or second bunch of SD-70's came on the scene. I saw the 703 yesterday and it is in one word "stunning".
Noel Weaver
 #1172568  by Noel Weaver

Engine 713 went north tonight on 226 through Fort Lauderdale at 12:10 AM and I think I can truthfully say that it is probably the very best paint scheme anywhere in the US today. I think one or two more engines are in the works so stay tuned. Train 226 will be in daylight when it gets up around St. Augustine and Jacksonville.
Noel Weaver
 #1177586  by Noel Weaver

Here's another one of the beautiful new paint on a pair of rather old locomotives that still run very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81DO_CF ... e=youtu.be

Location is the Broward (Deerfield Beach)/Palm Beach County (Boca Raton) line.
There is a good chance that these same two engines will go north on 202 in the daylight this afternoon.

Noel Weave
 #1201892  by Noel Weaver

As of today there are five SD-40-2's in the red and yellow paint. President Hertwig as called it the "Champion Colors" and we here in the FEC area are using the same term. If I refer to these units in the future I will use the term "Champion Scheme".
As information passenger cars Azalea and St. Augusting will be coming south Tuesday for a special move to Downtown Miami and the Port of Miami on Wednesday. I will not put more on here but if anybody here is interested in seeing or photographing this operation send me a PM and I will help you.
Noel Weaver