Railroad Forums 

• FEC-CSX Interchange in Jacksonville

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#861467  by ponce

Hi,
I just moved to St. Augustine from Hudson NY (not great for CSX except at night but lots of Amtrak activity).

My question is how does FEC interchange it's long freights with CSX?

From what little I know about Jacksonville's rail lines, it seems that one of FEC's major yards in Jacksonville is between Hwy 1 (Philips Hwy) and Old Kings Rd S just north of Baymeadows Rd (152) and stretches to almost University Blvd W (109)?

But all I see from google maps is a single track that goes northwest running parallel with US 1 until it goes under I95 and crosses the St. Johns River next to the Acosta Bridge. Is that the only interconnection between FEC and CSX or does FEC run its trains another way to CSX? Or does FEC send its freight/trailer traffic to another rail system (not CSX) and just uses the St. Johns River bridge for light to medium traffic?

By the way where is the best (and legal) viewing points of the FEC yard I mentioned above - between US 1 and Old Kings Rd S / Powers Ave? Is that the best yard/spot for FEC activity in Jacksonville? Which is the best yard to view CSX activity in JAX?

Thanks,
Ponce.
 #861645  by Noel Weaver

The FEC Bridge at Jacksonville is the only outlet/interchange at the north end of the FEC. Interchange takes place with both CSX and NS over this bridge with crews and engines of all three railroads using this bridge. The NS actually has crews who tie up and report at the FEC Bowden Yard in Jacksonville. Cab signal and train control territory does not start southbound until Sunbeam Interlocking so engines from both CSX and NS regularly run to Bowden.
Best and safest place to watch CSX is Folkston, GA which is one hour north of Jacksonville on US-1, you will love this place with its viewing platform, facilities, food nearby and friendly people. There is internet there, ATCS is available if you have a laptop as is electricity too. Best place to watch FEC activity in my opinion is Sunbeam Road crossing at the extreme south end of Bowden where you will see FEC trains entering and leaving.
If you would like to follow the Florida East Coast more, I recommend you join the Florida East Coast Railway Society, it is only $25.00 a year for a good newsletter and a great convention and field trips every fall. Here is a link:

www.fecrs.com

New members are always welcomed.
Noel Weaver