Railroad Forums 

• FEC by Cape Canaveral,FL

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#780191  by ChrisU

I am from New Jersey and I am going to Coco beach,FL for a 4 day vacation and I was wondering when the FEC runs through Cape Canaveral or Titusville,FL and what are some good rail fanning spots?
 #780589  by Noel Weaver

NJTArrow2 wrote:I am from New Jersey and I am going to Coco beach,FL for a 4 day vacation and I was wondering when the FEC runs through Cape Canaveral or Titusville,FL and what are some good rail fanning spots?
Cape Canaveral moves are infrequent but occasional. On the main line weekends especially sunday's usually nothing in the daytime. I do not know this area as well as my area, Fort Lauderdale.
Noel Weaver
 #780988  by Noel Weaver

What I am listing here is for Titusville which is in the general area.
Weekdays train 101 usually between 3:30 PM and 5:00 PM and later on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Went through Titusville
at 4:44 PM today
Train 105 if it runs and that's maybe a couple of days a week maybe an hour or two behind 101.
Train 107 between 8:00 PM and 9:00 PM.
Train 210 between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM maybe later sometimes
Train 202 between 5:30 PM and 7:30 PM, sometimes later and usually not on Saturdays, passed Titusville today at 6:17 PM.
Train 222 maybe between 10:00 PM and 11:00 PM, today at 10:00 PM it was coming to Palm Bay and might get by Titusville
around 10:30 PM or 11:00 PM.
I don't know the locals up there very well.
As you may know, there are more trains at night on the FEC. The information I am giving you here is about the best I can
do and of course I can't gurantee it.
As always railfan safe and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stay off railroad property. You can do well most places from public
property. Enjoy your stay.
Noel Weaver
 #782775  by Aa3rt

jmacek07 wrote:Sorry for my ignorance but what is rail fanning?
I really don't want to "hijack" this thread but here's a detailed explanation of "railfanning" on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railfanning
 #812209  by EricJ

I can't help with the original question, but here is a bit of virtual railfanning on the FEC at Cape Canaveral noticed on a different site.

http://www.universetoday.com/2010/05/28 ... rs-arrive/

The arrival of the final SRB segments for the last Space Shuttle to be stacked on the pad. The diameter of the booster rockets was limited by the loading gauge of the rail lines used from the manufacturing plant in Utah. (The much wider external tanks were transported by barge from the construction plant in New Orleans.) Similar trains may travel again if the Ares rockets survive the current political battle or a replacement heavy lift configuration is designed using the shuttle's Solid Rocket Boosters.

As a bonus the original poster included a shot of NASA's switcher.

Cheers!