Railroad Forums 

• FEC Florida East Coast Miami Station

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#707971  by CarterB

Metrorail goes all the way south on the old ROW to Dadeland South. N 25.68544 W 80.31327 The ROW is quite visible, no tracks, on south to Florida City.
 #708270  by Noel Weaver

The right of way of the Florida East Coast is used from Dadeland South Metro-Rail Station to Florida City as a busway. I have ridden over a portion of it before it was finished all the
way down to Homestead and Florida City and it is on my "to do" list sometime after I get back to Florida in a couple of weeks.
Noel Weaver
 #708921  by Bobby S

You know... I do remember seeing a "stand alone" bus lane along Route 1 a few years back. Just never thought of it as the old ROW! Thanks Noel Weaver for refreshing my memory! :-D
 #722057  by NellieBly

For a couple of miles immediately south of downtown Miami, the former FEC has been gone for a long time. There was service to Homestead into the 1980s; when I was working in Miami in 1981 I used to see the local along Brickell Ave., right next to where they were erecting the supports for Miami Metrorail.

South of Government Center station, Metrorail is on the old FEC ROW across the Miami River and then south. The FEC reached its Homestead line from Hialeah via a belt line that ran south past Miami Airport to a junction somewhere along Brickell south of the river -- don't know exactly how far. For a brief period, the FEC and Metrorail co-existed before FEC abandoned the Homestead Branch.
 #879259  by JasW

NellieBly wrote:For a couple of miles immediately south of downtown Miami, the former FEC has been gone for a long time. There was service to Homestead into the 1980s; when I was working in Miami in 1981 I used to see the local along Brickell Ave., right next to where they were erecting the supports for Miami Metrorail.

South of Government Center station, Metrorail is on the old FEC ROW across the Miami River and then south. The FEC reached its Homestead line from Hialeah via a belt line that ran south past Miami Airport to a junction somewhere along Brickell south of the river -- don't know exactly how far. For a brief period, the FEC and Metrorail co-existed before FEC abandoned the Homestead Branch.
It's hard to make out, but if you look at this aerial view of the ROW in 1980 (at where it crosses Coral Way west of Brickell -- drag the mouse to go farther south), there don't seem to be any tracks, just the ROW. Compare it with the FEC trackage north of downtown (and spurring off to the port) -- you can make out the tracks. Perhaps it was earlier than 1980?