Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in St. Augustine Question

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#707195  by jhf0551

I've heard that the bridge on US-1 in St. Augustine is a good place to watch FEC trains in the morning (say, 7:00am to 9:00am). I also got the train schedule online, but anyone knows a safe place to park the car and watch the trains? Thanks.
 #720896  by Murjax

jhf0551 wrote:I've heard that the bridge on US-1 in St. Augustine is a good place to watch FEC trains in the morning (say, 7:00am to 9:00am). I also got the train schedule online, but anyone knows a safe place to park the car and watch the trains? Thanks.
There really isn't a great place to park and despite what people see in pictures or what they see driving through the inner historic district, the rest of St Augustine (not including Anastasia Island) isn't the best area. What I believe you're looking to railfan here is the famous trestle bridge which crosses the San Sebastian River directly across the street from the old Florida East Coast headquarters (now part of Flagler College). If you really want to go here, I would recommend parking at the Quality Inn a few blocks north and walking down to the bridge. The trestle is great for pictures, but a better place in my opinion is the State Road 16 crossing a few miles north. There's a road bridge that goes over the San Sebastian river there where you can watch the train run through town for 3 miles and then come over the crossing. Definitely good if you're taking video.