Railroad Forums 

• FEC E-8 & FL-9 musings.....

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#410502  by pablo

So, that thread didn't answer which E unit they were outbid on, and why they decided to get an FL-9 as opposed to other F units, not to mention why this unit.

Anyone, do tell!

Dave Becker
 #416850  by bandofan

Otto Vondrak wrote:So the E-unit deal fell through... so now it looks like an FL9...

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40173

Is this unit on FEC property yet? What are the plans?

-otto-
Follow the link to the thread above and I have posted some pictures of the engine as it was being moved through Connellsville PA.

Tom

#417126  by GOLDEN-ARM

This one's dead. Thanks. <<CLICK>>
 #417725  by braves2905

Ex-Amtrak, i believe F unit is sitting at Moncrief Yard in Jacksonville,Fl with FEC spray painted on the side. I read you all were interested, just a heads up to the forum. FYI: its a pretty ragged unit..
 #417803  by Noel Weaver

braves2905 wrote:Ex-Amtrak, i believe F unit is sitting at Moncrief Yard in Jacksonville,Fl with FEC spray painted on the side. I read you all were interested, just a heads up to the forum. FYI: its a pretty ragged unit..
If the FEC is actually going to use this engine and I assume that they will,
it won't look "pretty ragged" when they are done fixing it up. Apparently
it is good enough so that they will do the rehab job themselves rather
than sending it out to be done.
Noel Weaver

#418245  by braves2905

I am sure it will, however that was my initial impression of the unit. GEEZ, I post a little info, now I am being lectured..

#418320  by Noel Weaver

braves2905 wrote:I am sure it will, however that was my initial impression of the unit. GEEZ, I post a little info, now I am being lectured..
I did not intend to lecture you, just making a comment.
Noel Weaver

#418334  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hello Braves, welcome to the forum. I WILL lecture you, if that's how you see it. The loco you are speaking of, already a topic, here in the FEC forum. Look under "FEC purchases a FL-9". Noel was commenting on your topic. That's how it works here. He isn't a "flamer". Since you have made a duplicate posting, this will be locked. Feel free to add any info, to the original thread, regarding the F unit. Regards

#497977  by Tadman

Any word on this project lately?

#498066  by Noel Weaver

I have not heard anything lately, the engine is privately owned but will be
stationed and used on the FEC at least that was the plan last October.
The engine at that time needed a fair amount of work but the overall
condition in my opinion is that it is restorable. They actually have gotten
the diesel engine to run and it was better than it appeared at that time.
I have not seen the engine since.
I suspect that work has continued on it by the railroad at their shop.
Noel Weaver

#499238  by uhaul

Just proves that while a locomotive may not pretty it can still be in good mechanical condition. I bet FEC is looking forward to this unit getting down to Florida.

#514906  by Noel Weaver

Former Amtrak FL-9 no. 484 which was originally New Haven 2029 arrived at the Florida East Coast shop last fall and
when I saw it appeared in rather sad shape. The windows were either broken, missing or completely fogged over, all had
to be replaced, the cab was a mess with no control stand, no seats and much stuff missing or so badly gone that it might as
well be missing. They did manage to get the diesel engine running that day and it sounded quite well. The Amtrak paint
looked terrible and was in terrible shape and it looked like it might be headed for its doom.
Fast forward to March, 2008 when I just received a couple of good pictures of this historic locomotive in neat new paint and
all of the windows have been replaced. The carbody looks great. The paint on the lower one third of the carbody is a
pleasing dark green followed by a much lighter green or gray. The top one third is again either the dark green or the stainless
steel grill that the engines had when they were new. This is, in my opinion, the best paint job and the best appearance that
any of these locomotives have ever had since the day they left EMD.
What are the plans for this locomotive? It is privately owned but I believe it will remain on the Florida East Coast. Don't
look for it on trains 101, 107, 224 or 226 or any other FEC freight train but it could be used on an office car special or as a
goodwill ambassador. The work is not finished, it sill does not have a whistle/horn, I do not know just what kind of horn it
will get but I suspect it will be something like the FEC uses on their freight engines. I believe they intend to make it fully
useable on the Florida East Coast and for that to happen it will need FEC style seats, FEC cab signals and train control, cab
air conditioning and some other appliances.
Sometime down the road I hope to see this historic locomotive when it passes through Fort Lauderdale on a passenger train.
The Florida East Coast is a gem in my back yard actually about 3 or 4 miles east of here. They run their freight trains on a
schedule and they do better on time wise than Amtrak does although that is not saying much. Presently they are operating
around ten scheduled trains each way north of Fort Lauderdale. There was actually 12 until last fall when due to the
economic downturn, two round trip rock trains came off, they still run three round trip rock trains as of now. Two of the 10
trains originate or terminate right here in the modest yard at Fort Lauderdale.
I will do what I can to keep you informed about this engine as things develop.
Noel Weaver

#517707  by uhaul

Thanks for the history and the update on this locomotive Noel Weaver. Nice to know that progress is going well.
Last edited by uhaul on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#518015  by Noel Weaver

uhaul wrote:Thanks for the history! Thanks for the insider's view on this locomotive Noel Weaver! Nice to know that progress is going well!
Thanks, but I don't consider myself an "insider" on this one.
Noel Weaver