Railroad Forums 

• Wayside signal aspects?

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1282944  by MattW

I love all things signals and just love understanding a railroad's signaling scheme. But one signaling scheme I can't find anywhere is FEC's. Does anyone know where I can find what the signals show? I assume the basic signals are R/Y/G, stop, approach, clear, respectively, but want to know what the other wayside aspects are.

Thanks for any information!
 #1282973  by Freddy

Check out the Facebook page Railroad Signals. There's a few guys that can tell you about the FEC.
 #1283068  by Noel Weaver

Unlike a lot of railroads the Florida East Coast uses routing signals rather than speed signals. In other words a Y/G which would be approach medium (approach the next signal at medium speed) is approach diverging on the Florida East Coast. The meaning is proceed approaching next signal prepared to take the diverging route at prescribed speed. Diving speed at most interlockings on the FEC is 40 MPH but it is higher on a couple of them. The difference between speed signals and route signals is that speed signals tell you how fast you can go and it is up to you to know where you are going and route signals tell you where you are going and it is up to you to know how fast you can go. The FEC also has a couple more indications that are relayed through cab signals and do not show up on wayside signals. The railroad is cab signal equipped from Sunbeam Interlocking which is at the south end of Bowden Yard, Jacksonville all the way to North Miami Interlocking.
Noel Weaver