Railroad Forums 

• ES44C4 locomotives

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1297193  by GE45tonner

Can't wait to find some of these when I'm in the area after Christmas :)
 #1300544  by Noel Weaver

Two of the new GE's are billed out of Erie as I type this. 803 and 802 will be departing for Jacksonville. I don't know whether the carrier will be NS or CSX but my guess would be NS.
Noel Weaver
 #1300658  by KSmitty

Noel, any word on the disposition of the soon to be surplus SD70's?
 #1300709  by Noel Weaver

KSmitty wrote:Noel, any word on the disposition of the soon to be surplus SD70's?
I see you are from Maine, maybe up your way because you have a railroad there that is also owned by Fortress Investments and I suspect could use some newer power. Just a guess on my part, we heaven't heard anything official. Most likely they will remain here at least through November.
Noel Weaver
 #1300784  by KSmitty

Noel Weaver wrote: I see you are from Maine, maybe up your way because you have a railroad there that is also owned by Fortress Investments and I suspect could use some newer power. Just a guess on my part, we heaven't heard anything official. Most likely they will remain here at least through November.
Noel Weaver
Yep, thats why I asked! Im hoping to see them move north. I realize they havent been good motors for the FEC, but I would think on a less high pressure railroad with looser scheduling and no current intermodal traffic that they would be just fine. The release of the first two units also coincides with CMQ releasing 5 of their leased SD's. Just got me thinking is all.

By the way, to get back to topic, "FEC2000" on "Trainorders.com" got some pictures of the 802 on the test track at Erie. They look phenominal in the champion scheme.
Link: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,3563023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1301566  by somewhere

I talked to they people in New Smyrma facility yesterday and the believe they will have the GE's within two weeks.
 #1301571  by Noel Weaver

Shipment has been slightly delayed while the locomotives go back in to the shop to be equipped with ditch lights on the "B" end. Standard practice on the FEC is for all engines to be able to run in both directions and this is not going to change with the new units although I doubt you'll see it happen very much.
Noel Weaver
 #1303783  by Noel Weaver

First two GE's are in Jacksonville and will be delivered to the FEC at Bowden today. The plan is to get them ready at Bowden and run them on their first trip Friday afternoon on train 101 which usually leaves Bowden on Fridays around 2:00 PM or after. The train will also have the Azalea and St. Augustine on the rear. This is based on the folks at Bowden being able to get them ready in time for 101 Friday afternoon. SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
Noel Weaver
 #1303902  by BandA

So these are for freight only, i assume they won't be used for "all aboard Florida" or any other passenger service. They are described as "tier 3" - doesn't that mean they have to leave the factory by Dec 31? (Suppose they can rush them out the doors, then roll them back in for "repairs") Does that make them orphans, or more desirable compared to the coming tier 4s?
 #1303994  by Noel Weaver

BandA wrote:So these are for freight only, i assume they won't be used for "all aboard Florida" or any other passenger service. They are described as "tier 3" - doesn't that mean they have to leave the factory by Dec 31? (Suppose they can rush them out the doors, then roll them back in for "repairs") Does that make them orphans, or more desirable compared to the coming tier 4s?
Nothing to do with All Aboard Florida, these will replace the SD-70's and be used in freight only. They expect to finish the balance of the 24 unit order before the end of the year. Can't render an opinion on the rest of your questions.
Noel Weaver
 #1304092  by Noel Weaver

GE update: 802, 807, 808, 810, 811 are all painted and billed to ship out on CSX as of today, 802 and 808 were on the CSX interchange . 806 and 809 are unpainted and on NS headed to Kansas City for painting. 800 still at the GE plant in primer, 801 is painted but not released yet. 803 and 804 are in Jax on FEC and are said to be going out on train 101 or 107 on Friday. First tri; for the two already in JAX is slated for train 107 on Saturday, November 22nd (early evening). I wonder if the above engines will be delayed by weather conditions?
Noel Weaver
 #1304228  by Noel Weaver

I have a number of fairly decent spots in and around Fort Lauderdale in which to park and watch freight trains on the FEC. Last night I wanted a decent spot to park close to the tracks where the train would not be going too fast so I could get a good look at it passing by. Just south of the Fort Lauderdale Bridge fit this pretty good. First sign of movement was when I heard the siren on the bridge and shortly after it was locked down. The horn carried a long way and had a nice echo effect off some of the buildings in downtown Fort Lauderdale. The ditch lights on these units pulse like they do on the 700's and 400's. I loved the horn, it would wake up the dead just like horns should. FIrst difference I noticed was how quite this train was approaching and I think the crews will appreciate the quieter cabs. To put it mildly, the engines looked stunning to me, the best paint scheme on any railroad anywhere. A long train passed me without incident and then comes the two passenger cars on the rear end and they always look good.
The Florida East Coast is going to undergo a rapid change from EMD to GE and before we know it the SD-70's will be gone and so will some if not most of the SD-40-2 as well. Many years ago some railroads ran steam and diesels on the same tracks for a matter of years but here it will be a matter of a few weeks before a lot of the EMD's will be gone.
Just my reflections. A big thank you to all who provided a heads up on these moves, posted video and photos and added valuable information on this.

Noel Weaver.
 #1304251  by MEC407

They look and sound great, as expected. :-D

Long train! Loads or empties? (or a mix?)

That grade crossing reminds me of Old Orchard Beach here in Maine.