Railroad Forums 

• CSX River Line automatic signals

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#856474  by CPSK

Hi;
Can someone tell me where the automatic signals on the River Line (North Bergen to Selkirk) are?
I know them from 7 (automatic on track 1, CP on track 2), up to CP22, but I think I just heard a train report at "automatic 21". I was not aware that there is a signal at 21, since there is a CP at 22, and an automatic at 19.
Reason I want to know is that I have a Trainz RR simulation of the CSX River Line, and I'm trying to get the railroad right, even if I can't get the other features exactly right.

Thanks

FW
 #856629  by CPSK

Steve F45 wrote:the signal at mp13 is automatic 13.
That I am aware of. Have been up there many times. It is also a distant signal for CP10, is it not?

It is mostly north of Ft. Montgomery that I am unfamiliar with the automatic signals.

My OP was in regards to 21 automatic. I had always assumed that because there is one at 19, and a CP at 22, there was no automatic between the two.
I don't know for sure whether I heard a train at 21, or at 31. I'm fairly certain that there is one at 31.
 #856692  by AMK0123

Off the top of my head, north of Fort Montgomery you have Automatic 47 (south of West Point). Automatic 49 (seen from Cold Spring river front), Automatic 60 (100 feet south of Roseton Detector), Automatic 63, Automatic 72 (under the north side of the walkway over the Hudson), after that I'll have to look up. Shouldn't be one till after the 4 mile controled siding between CP76 / CP78 / CP80.
 #856770  by roadster

Different crews call signals in different manners. You may have heard a conductor rattling off numbers from the train ID or engine numbers along with the signal location and aspect, which when mumbbled together may have sounded like 21. OR, a trainee may have in correctly called the signal, since there are a number of new hires training.
 #856830  by CPSK

AMK0123 wrote:Off the top of my head, north of Fort Montgomery you have Automatic 47 (south of West Point). Automatic 49 (seen from Cold Spring river front), Automatic 60 (100 feet south of Roseton Detector), Automatic 63, Automatic 72 (under the north side of the walkway over the Hudson), after that I'll have to look up. Shouldn't be one till after the 4 mile controled siding between CP76 / CP78 / CP80.
Thanks for that info. reminds me that I want to take another trip up to the walkway.

Automatic 63? Would that be nobo only? There is a CP at 63 sobo, for the power plant siding. That was a fairly recent change though.
 #856861  by AMK0123

Not sure how the siding is set up for the old power plant. Train crews call CP63 both northbound and southbound. Also forgot there is an Automatic 58 just north of Newburgh.
 #857117  by zablocki22

Automatic 21 is Glenshaw St. just off of Rte.303 in Orangeburg/Blauvelt, NY

There is a big company there (can't remember the name) that has a siding heading south that gets the big covered hoppers.

Vincent Zablocki
 #857600  by CPSK

n2xjk wrote:Above CP80, there are automatic signals at 83, 85 (nr.Hercules detector), 92, 95, 97.
Thanks for the info. I'll add those to my list.
I have ordered a DVD from Wislew productions, "River Subdivision, part 2" which contains a lot of detail on the line. I should receive it tomorrow, so I'm hoping that it will give me any data that I am still missing.

You know, I was looking at Google Earth, and could swear that I can actually see some of the automatic signals. I think I might be seeing heads of the signals, as they are usually black, and the ballast is much lighter. I might also be seeing the shadows, but I think most of the photos were taken at midday, so shadows would be short. The CP's are easier to spot, since they are always at points where the track changes, and the latest maps are excellent for spotting even the crossovers.

FW
 #870687  by Passaic River Rat

CPSK wrote:Hi;
Can someone tell me where the automatic signals on the River Line (North Bergen to Selkirk) are?
I know them from 7 (automatic on track 1, CP on track 2), up to CP22, but I think I just heard a train report at "automatic 21". I was not aware that there is a signal at 21, since there is a CP at 22, and an automatic at 19.
Reason I want to know is that I have a Trainz RR simulation of the CSX River Line, and I'm trying to get the railroad right, even if I can't get the other features exactly right.

Thanks

FW
I'll take a stab at this:
Signal 21 has been covered.
Automatic 28 is north of Congers. If you are into Google Earth, it is at: 41° 3'21.92"N, 73°56'59.55"W. It is right behind the sheet metal company in Congers.
Automatic 31 is not back-to back. 31S is a few feet south of Short Clove Road in Haverstraw. Automatic 31N is a few hundreed feet south thereof, at the east end of the curve.
Then there is CP-33 and CP-35.
Automatic 384(northbound) and 383(southbound) are next to the Tomkins Cove Detector at 41°16'44.32"N, 73°58'4.68"W.
Automatic 409(northbound) and 410(southbound) are adjacent to Iona Island at MP 41.
Then there is CP-43 and CP-45.
The automatic at West Point was covered.
The next one was covered.
Then there is CP-52 and CP-55.
Then signal 58 at 41°31'52.96"N, 74° 0'9.67"W.
Next is signal 60 at MP-61 at 41°33'24.12"N, 73°59'10.03"W
Then the mysterious CP-63.
CP-66 and CP-69.
Automatic 724 (NB), 723(SB) are adjacent to the old Highland Depot.

There are more but I don't have them. There is lots of information at the following website:
http://www.wislew.com/riversubphotosinfo.htm
 #870730  by CPSK

Thanks for the updated info.
I guess the offset locations of 31 are for visibility. Train coming around the bend wouldn't see the signal if it were on the other end, and SB trains need to see the signal before they reach Short Clove rd, so not to block it if they need to stop.

I finally heard a train report past 21 the other night. I guess it's in a location that is not favorable for my antenna location, about 12 miles south in Teaneck. When the leaves are off the trees, my reception always gets better :-)

Fw
 #872326  by zablocki22

I was crossing the track at New Bridge road in Bergenfield (CP-10 at milepost 11) and noticed that the signal mast for southbounds has been relocated to the east side of the track.

Vincent
 #1141058  by CPSK

Hi;
Re-visiting the thread.
Anyone know the automatic signals north of CP106?
I am now creating a territory map for Train Dispatcher 3.
I've got the CP's and automatics to CP106, then only the CP's north of that.
Also, the HB/DE detectors.
I've got everything up to Catskill, and of course the High-car detector just south of CPSK at Ravena.

Thanks

FW