Railroad Forums 

• CSX Activity in New England

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1277652  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

ferroequinologist wrote:
Thanks for the summary! So would the B733 have reversed after I saw it to get to the "chocolate" industrial park, or was it headed south/west? Judging by the speed I don't think it was about to reverse--it accelerated through mansfield at a pretty good clip.

Anyway, let me make sure I have this straight: B725 drops off cars in Mansfield and Attleboro overnight from Framingham. B733 puts these cars on the right sidings during the day, from Walpole through Mansfield. Is that right?

Also, is the "chocolate" name anachronistic now? The reason I saw it was that I was biking through Mansfield, and the chocolate factory doesn't look like it's running, and I didn't get the delicious smell of chocolate as I biked by.
It depends on whether they were servicing the Chocolate siding first and then going to West Mansfield...or going just West of Mansfield station to reverse direction to head onto the Framingham Secondary. Yes, you are correct....B725 drops of the cars in Mansfield (and if you really want to know, Q436 is the road freight from Selkirk, NY that brings the cars to Framingham) B733 sorts and then spots the cars in the correct spots in said sidings in between Mainline traffic. They just keep the power in Walpole, travel engine lite to Mansfield to sort their cars, round 9:30-10a. No, the original chocolate factory is since closed, for a few years now
 #1280359  by boatsmate

Passing under the Saxonville branch Bridge over the Mass Pike the other day and saw several pieces of track equipment off in the woods (east side) and on the Framingham side a pickup and lighting plant. not sure what is happening. I did notice some asphalt work done on the crossing at RTE 9 in Framingham
 #1280482  by johnpbarlow

boatsmate wrote:Passing under the Saxonville branch Bridge over the Mass Pike the other day and saw several pieces of track equipment off in the woods (east side) and on the Framingham side a pickup and lighting plant. not sure what is happening. I did notice some asphalt work done on the crossing at RTE 9 in Framingham
Technically the RR bridge over the Pike that you reference is the ex-NH line that ran to W. Concord/Chelmsford/Lowell (for connection to B&M) that was last used to access a lumber yard in Wayland years ago, IIRC). I believe CSX and Framingham have spent the last few years haggling over purchase price of the abandoned line for use as a bike trail (that might eventually connect to the Bruce Freeman Trail at Chelmsford). The Pike actually passes over the RoW of the long abandoned B&A Saxonville Branch near exit 13 at Natick.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3128098 ... a=!3m1!1e3
 #1305396  by GE45tonner

What kind of traffic is the line between Attleboro and Taunton seeing these days? Is it still CSX or is it Mass Coastal now?
 #1305442  by F-line to Dudley via Park

GE45tonner wrote:What kind of traffic is the line between Attleboro and Taunton seeing these days? Is it still CSX or is it Mass Coastal now?
Still CSX. MassCoastal only has the lines south of Taunton to Fall River and New Bedford, South of Middleboro to the Cape, and the Dean St. Industrial Track in Taunton. CSX still runs a 6 nights per week Attleboro-Middleboro-Braintree job to serve local customers on the Middleboro Secondary, Taunton Industrial Track, and Old Colony Mainline north of Middleboro.
 #1306117  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

an interesting sighting I observed today....Wyman Gordon in North Grafton had 3 gondola's on one of their stub tracks today....this place hasn't seen a freight car in who knows how many years...very interesting, maybe they are going to start sending out scrap metal via rail??? I'll try to get some answers for the forum
 #1306118  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
GE45tonner wrote:What kind of traffic is the line between Attleboro and Taunton seeing these days? Is it still CSX or is it Mass Coastal now?
Still CSX. MassCoastal only has the lines south of Taunton to Fall River and New Bedford, South of Middleboro to the Cape, and the Dean St. Industrial Track in Taunton. CSX still runs a 6 nights per week Attleboro-Middleboro-Braintree job to serve local customers on the Middleboro Secondary, Taunton Industrial Track, and Old Colony Mainline north of Middleboro.
No Friday/Saturday night service out of Middleboro Yard for CSX. Only two night jobs, B726 and B729...B727 is the other day job that runs thru Taunton, and sometimes services Attleboro, and the Middleboro branch, apparently does all the necessary day work that needs to be completed. Passed B727 South of Campello around 1030am, headed to service Washburn Candy
 #1306208  by GP40MC1118

Were they MBTA gondolas? If so, that could be for picking up scrap ties or such.

I'd interested to know if that small Whitcomb critter is still on the property?

Dave
 #1306439  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

GP40MC1118 wrote:Were they MBTA gondolas? If so, that could be for picking up scrap ties or such.

I'd interested to know if that small Whitcomb critter is still on the property?

Dave
Apparently they are loading contaminated soil into these cars (too far to see markings, but blk gondolas) and yes, the little orange critter is on the track adjacent to the 3 cars.
 #1307753  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

said 3 cars are still sitting in the yard @ Wyman Gordon...the head car has been covered with a tarp...seems to be no rush there on moving them. Also for other notes, Q437 still is a night job, usually building their train in Nevins Yard around 6pm most nights M-F (Saturday, usually out of town by 2pm), B722 building their train in Westboro yard around the same time as well. Lately a yard job has been busy in Framingham building a train on the West leg of the WYE, maybe for the nightly B725 job?? Once the sun goes down, CSX awakens!