Railroad Forums 

• CSX Activity in New England

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1329901  by GE45tonner

Is it B733 that can be found serving the Mansfield area weekday afternoons? I'm interested in checking out the operation. I don't have a scanner so I guess I'd have to hope I luck out, lol.
 #1329905  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

GE45tonner wrote:Is it B733 that can be found serving the Mansfield area weekday afternoons? I'm interested in checking out the operation. I don't have a scanner so I guess I'd have to hope I luck out, lol.
that is correct. They have been showing up in Mansfield to assemble their train around 8am I've noticed lately. They service both the West Mansfield Industrial park and the Chocolate siding (Mansfield industrial park). Depending on their work load, they could be in either spot for a few hours at a time, and of course depends on Corridor traffic. They usually head back home to Walpole around 4-5pm
 #1330959  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

For anyone interested on B&A freight action during the week, Q437 has been departing Framingham, following MBTA #537 West to Worcester, usually is building his train between 6-7pm in Nevins Yard. B722 is out working in the Worcester area (near Sacks), as well as the Westboro switcher doing its duties in the evening hours as well.
 #1331819  by rb

Hi folks -- any idea what time CSX swings through Cambridge and Somerville en route to Chelsea on weekdays? Trying to grab a shot at the bridge over the Mystic. Thank you.
 #1332071  by GP40MC1118

B721 is on duty at 130PM in Framingham and usually out of there around 3PM Sunday through
Thursday. May work Houghton Chemical at Beacon Park before heading to Everett.

Due to Green Line construction in Somerville, except for Sunday, they can't access the
Grand Jct branch until 4PM-415PM.

D
 #1332072  by mailmandan

Hi folks -- any idea what time CSX swings through Cambridge and Somerville en route to Chelsea on weekdays? Trying to grab a shot at the bridge over the Mystic. Thank you.
I have seen B721 eastbound around Newton at about 3:45 pm with one engine (6226) and two or three cars a few times in the last couple of weeks.

Dan
 #1332921  by consist

Not sure of the scope of the welded rail train's work, but some rail was dropped along the mainline in the west (Keefe Tech) yard. Saw the empty rail train move west Sunday night (5/24) around 9pm, same spot.
 #1333662  by csor2010

rb wrote:Hi folks -- any idea what time CSX swings through Cambridge and Somerville en route to Chelsea on weekdays? Trying to grab a shot at the bridge over the Mystic. Thank you.
I've seen them on the Mystic bridge twice - once at 5:15 and once at 5:30. They switched Houghton Chemical at Beacon Park both of those days, so they might run earlier on days that they run through to Everett.
 #1333770  by boatsmate

They normally depart Framingham around 3 ish 3- 315 I hear them talking to the Framingham yard the same time everyday and they are told to come up to the station signal to head to Boston.
 #1366644  by JHB

Hi! I am planning a trip out to Palmer! What trains go through there (symbols) and about what time does each?

Thanks
 #1366797  by roberttosh

I'm sure others can provide more details, but for CSX there are 3 manifest, 3 intermodal and 1 auto train each way daily, though some of them only run 5-6 times per week, so you won't necessarily get all 14 trains every day of the week. I think they also still run an additional high priority 4th eastbound intermodal train one day per week, maybe Thursday's or Friday's. There's also a CSX local out of Springfield that I believe comes into town most days to switch the interchange yard. Manifests are Q426,427,422,423,436,437, autos are Q264,293 and not sure on the intermodals. Also occasional Ethanol and wheat (rare) unit trains, equipment repo moves, as well as ballast and welded rail trains. NECR has 1 pair of manifests in and out of town, plus local switchers and Mass Central switches the interchange daily. Lastly you have the Amtrak Lakeshore Limited each way daily. Unfortunately I would say the majority of CSX activity is overnight and early morning, though there is still decent activity during the day if you're there at the right time. West of Springfield on CSX, You'll see 2-3 more manifests per day, plus regular ballast trains during construction season, so that could be an option too if you're more interested in main line action. Hope that helps.