Railroad Forums 

• Boston Waterfront Industrial Track Reactivation

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1052298  by Rbts Stn

GaryAF wrote:Aaaarrrgggghhh!

I should have tested those links before posting them! They're effectively the same! Sorry!

Go to Google street view (the little yellow man) for 426 First Street: this shows the building as "Comcast".

Go a little 'north', to the intersection with Pappas Way: this shows the building as "Casey B. Hayes".

BTW, is this relevant or off topic?

Gary
I'd say off topic.

But I can answer your question. The images showing Comcast are dated from August 2009, while the image showing Casey B Hayes is dated July 2007. Look at the bottom of the image for the date the pictures were taken.
 #1052323  by GaryAF

Oops! I should have looked more closely before posting! I'm across Reserved Channel
from the Drydock area.

Good tip on the Google dating. Again, I should have looked before posting.
[an abashed, red-faced smiley...]

Gary

Ach! Please tell me I'm not generating endless emails by editing my post
in small increments!!

[a scarlet-faced smiley under a paper bag......]
 #1427139  by bostontrainguy

mgdemarco wrote:Assume that test run never happened?
No, there was a test run. I even remember seeing the signs posted for "no parking active tracks" or something like that all along the Design Center loading dock. However, if I remember right the (single engine?) train didn't go all the way to the end but actually stopped about half-way down Drydock Ave and didn't cross the road just before the Design Center.
 #1427160  by F-line to Dudley via Park

bostontrainguy wrote:
mgdemarco wrote:Assume that test run never happened?
No, there was a test run. I even remember seeing the signs posted for "no parking active tracks" or something like that all along the Design Center loading dock. However, if I remember right the (single engine?) train didn't go all the way to the end but actually stopped about half-way down Drydock Ave and didn't cross the road just before the Design Center.
The test was kind of useless, because the going-concern Massport plan for active rail to Marine Terminal would relocate the tracks along Design Center to be next to the Drydock Ave. sidewalk for easier turnout up Tide St. to the terminal. Far fewer parking spaces impacted that way; only 2 parking rows of 30 spaces each would have to be slapped with overnight parking bans to allow the trains to run.

As for the tracks to Black Falcoln after Tide St...nobody's got plans for them, but they're still Massport-owned so aren't expected to be ripped out either. If they realign to Tide St. for new active service to Marine T., there'd probably be provision left for throwing down a switch @ Tide and S-curving onto the remaining building-facing Design Ctr. tracks to keep Black Falcon access preserved for future needs.
 #1427171  by bostontrainguy

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote: As for the tracks to Black Falcoln after Tide St...nobody's got plans for them, but they're still Massport-owned so aren't expected to be ripped out either. If they realign to Tide St. for new active service to Marine T., there'd probably be provision left for throwing down a switch @ Tide and S-curving onto the remaining building-facing Design Ctr. tracks to keep Black Falcon access preserved for future needs.
There is a good change of grade from the street/sidewalk elevation to the Design Center loading dock tracks. An S curve going through the parking lot would be a challenge. They will probably just put a switch in at the start of the new track near the entrance to keep the existing tracks connected and we'll all be dead before we ever see a train actually use them.
 #1462384  by l008com

Looking at this area on maps, plus having checked it out in person before, I had a though...
Wouldn't it make the most sense to move the tracks to the middle of the parking lots? The one at boston design center and the one before that too? That way you don't have to move any parking spaces, and the trains wouldn't have to stop every other night for that idiot that left his car on the tracks. And in theory they could even run trains during the day, slipping right through the middle of the parking lot. Seems like the simplest solution to that specific problem.
 #1462395  by bostontrainguy

l008com wrote:Looking at this area on maps, plus having checked it out in person before, I had a though...
Wouldn't it make the most sense to move the tracks to the middle of the parking lots? The one at boston design center and the one before that too? That way you don't have to move any parking spaces, and the trains wouldn't have to stop every other night for that idiot that left his car on the tracks. And in theory they could even run trains during the day, slipping right through the middle of the parking lot. Seems like the simplest solution to that specific problem.
Actually, I always thought they should just run it along the haul road to the end. Then cross Northern Ave and approach the MMT from the west. There are mostly open vacant lots in that area and it would avoid the challenges of running through those parking lots and the grades at the Design Center.
 #1462498  by johnpbarlow

What traffic would be running on this track? The remaining track segments don't seem to terminate at any shipper in the seaport that might need rail freight service. It doesn't run to the Conley Container terminal. Perhaps it's more suitable for some sort of people mover shuttle service between Andrew T station and the Black Falcon Terminal?
 #1462500  by l008com

Another thought I always have when looking at this line, you'd think the expo center itself could use a siding. They probably move as much large stuff in and out as any manufacturer. Granted it may not be coming or going to another place that's rail-accessible. But I'm just thinking about hundreds of large boats driving around the city on trailers, versus easily rolling them all in on flat cars. Seems common sense to have and use when you can. But what do I know.
 #1462509  by bostontrainguy

johnpbarlow wrote:What traffic would be running on this track? The remaining track segments don't seem to terminate at any shipper in the seaport that might need rail freight service. It doesn't run to the Conley Container terminal. Perhaps it's more suitable for some sort of people mover shuttle service between Andrew T station and the Black Falcon Terminal?
They had plans for new businesses in the vacant property north of the drydock. The original plans included new tracks along Tide Street from Drydock Ave which seemed not that practical. The project never seemed to get going even after a scaled down version was announced.

Now I see they had asked for bidders and I guess are starting over again:

Massport gets 10 bids for marine terminal project in South Boston
BOSTON GLOBE APRIL 15, 2016
The Massachusetts Port Authority received 10 bids to develop all or part of 23 acres on the South Boston waterfront known as the Massport Marine Terminal . . The bids came from a mix of seafood companies and real estate developers. The property comes with a major stipulation . . . It must be devoted to maritime industrial uses.

The 10 respondents are: Cape Cod Shellfish & Seafood Co.; Citywide Organics Recycling LLC; Eastern Salt Co.; North Coast Seafoods; Paradigm Properties LLC; Pilot Development Partners Inc.; Redgate; The Partners; Tishman Speyer Worldwide LLC; and Wilmington Cold Storage Inc.

Massport officials said they expect to pick one or more developers this summer. They declined to elaborate . . .

There isn't much news since this so who knows? Probably forget about any new tracks in the seaport.

This project has been kicking around for something like 17 YEARS!!! Interesting info here when you have nothing else to do:

http://files.masscec.com/MMT%20Rail%20A ... 001%29.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1476316  by neman2

Tracer wrote:Drove down the haul road and it looked like the tracks were removed. Can anyone confirm?
It's the beginning of the construction of the MBTA Red Line Test Track project. New train cars will be tested there.