Railroad Forums 

• Does CSX ship Subaru in the Northeast?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#335439  by eotd

i'm trying to find out if Subaru ships by rail out of their facility in Indiana. the factory has rail service. as for the cars, they're around here and there in NY, but going up to Mass, you see them EVERYWHERE. it would seem that for New England, they sell enough to certainly ship them in.

as for new york state, do they service Subaru at the Selkirk Auto facility? I'd like to trace my Subaru if i could.
 #336761  by sd80mac

eotd wrote:i'm trying to find out if Subaru ships by rail out of their facility in Indiana. the factory has rail service. as for the cars, they're around here and there in NY, but going up to Mass, you see them EVERYWHERE. it would seem that for New England, they sell enough to certainly ship them in.

as for new york state, do they service Subaru at the Selkirk Auto facility? I'd like to trace my Subaru if i could.
I dont recall driving these at Selkirk Auto terminal in 2000. But as always, contracts changes from time to time. Selkirk Auto may have them before or after my employment.

you could check with NS' in Buffalo. They are run by contractor.
Last edited by sd80mac on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#336942  by Will_S

They do ship the vehicles out on autoracks and you can frequently see the auto trains running past the Amtrak station down by downtown Lafayette.

#337512  by frank502

When I worked for CSX I was able to buy a Subaru Outback Sedan at dealer invoice as part of an employee discount program.
 #340172  by eotd

to make things even stranger, and harder to believe, several Subaru dealers (including an Albany area one) told me that the cars are shipped, by autorack of course, to RHODE ISLAND. they tried to convince me that the cars pass through Selkirk and all New England/New York distribution is trucked out of RI.

i have no evidence that autoracks are being delivered to Rhode Island whatsoever.
 #340175  by sd80mac

eotd wrote:to make things even stranger, and harder to believe, several Subaru dealers (including an Albany area one) told me that the cars are shipped, by autorack of course, to RHODE ISLAND. they tried to convince me that the cars pass through Selkirk and all New England/New York distribution is trucked out of RI.

i have no evidence that autoracks are being delivered to Rhode Island whatsoever.
I dont think there is one in R.I. I know ML goes to SK, Kearney and Farmington, mass and one more in Mass which I believe that it's now closed.

I know that NS tried to set up one in Vooershire(sp), north of Selkirk. but has been closed after one or two years.

#340504  by johnpbarlow

Imported Subarus arrive by ship at the port of Davisville, RI and are trucked (currently) to final destinations. The same is true for imported Audis and VWs.

Perhaps domestically built Subarus are shipped via rail to E Brookfield, MA unloading center? Ayer and Westboro auto-unloading facilities are currently closed and I believe Framingham is used only for unloading Fords.

#344163  by dbperry

Here is a handy map:
http://www.csx.com/?fuseaction=customer ... y&state=ma

Ayer is shutdown, contrary to the info on the link above
Framingham is all Ford, all the time, and pretty active
Not sure what is going on in Westboro - is it shutdown? The link above claims they handle Subaru....
East Brookfield is not on the map yet, but I think they handle Toyota and others.

I'm down the street from Framingham auto yard. I'll have to take a ride past Westboro someday soon.

Dave

#344215  by johnpbarlow

From my recent visits to the Webo auto rack yard, only Staley corn syrup cars are handled there now. But miscellaneous freight cars can also be found sitting there. There is no autorack activity and the unloading ramps are gone.

#349646  by Skullitor

Westboro is NOT an auto yard anymore. Watch Davisville,R.I. by summer,
The P&W is expected to move loaded autoracks up the Providence Main Line to Worcester,Then down the Norwich main to the "WILLI" Willimantic branch to the NECR northbound to Montreal and beyond.Also I here via CSX in Worcester.I've heard 5,000 plus car loads to start.

#349656  by johnpbarlow

What's holding up the start of auto hauling out of Davisville until summer? STB approved P&W's participation in the TTX multilevel carpool and the "3rd rail" is completed. What else needs to happen?

#349662  by Skullitor

The tunnel in BellowsFalls,VT and the NECR.

#349827  by johnpbarlow

I had read the BF tunnel work was to have been finished in December '06. Plus P&W interchange with CSX at Worcester requires no clearance work. I think there's some speculation that the reason no auto traffic is moving yet is that no deal has been struck between P&W and any auto shipper (eg, Subaru or Toyota).

#349959  by Skullitor

All I know is from my sources on both the P&W and in Davisville, That they will be starting soon.The Third track is done and Davisville yard is almost ready.