Railroad Forums 

• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1465179  by DogBert

Stumbled across P&W going over the bridge last Saturday night around 9pm. Is this their new normal time?
 #1468559  by Plate C

Never boring, had the occasion to stop by today in time to see NYPD flood the yard and arrest what appeared to be one of the homeless from the area. Not sure if they were stealing from boxcars, seemed like Amtrak passed just before and hit the horn but think they might normally, plus looked like there might have been some work going on. Amtrak did hit a guy down there a few months back. Either way, several cops drove into the yard and there were quite a few more up on the Bruckner Blvd side.
 #1470467  by Sprinter611

Met Y402 coming back from Fresh Pond on the Hell Gate, CSX 2740, 6236, & 1712 with probably 30 or so cars around 2:30pm.
 #1470950  by gregorygrice

csx8851 wrote:Yesterday at around 2:30pm, I saw what I think was CSX going southbound to Fresh Pond. Caught only the last few WM cars. Quite unusual for Sunday.
*Westbound.

CSX Y102 runs to/from Fresh Pond every Sunday during the midday.
 #1472032  by Plate C

Was there again Monday but no criminal action in sight this time. Not sure if this even the right forum but who owns the tracks coming out of Oak Point down Edgewater? Saw some different equipment from Railroad Construction Company, Patterson, NJ there. Have to imagine this is some of the first service of any kind these tracks have seen in years, wasn't fully clear what they're doing.
 #1472107  by Plate C

Funny enough when you google Edgewater Rd, Bronx, NY the picture that comes up with the map is of the RR vehicles on the track there. Basically as I described. As CSX/Amtrak comes into Oak Point there is a single track that splits left under the Bruckner and down Edgewater toward the Hunts Point Produce Market. I've been to this area many times and have never seen this section in use, but that doesn't mean it's not used and is likely serviced at night. If you follow this line down on the satellite image you'll see that some of the lines are no longer used (you can see trailers parked across them) but as you get to the market there are what appears to be reefers and hoppers back there. Makes sense since I see those types of cars at Oak Point but anywhere you go along that trackage just appears dead.
 #1472127  by ccutler

As of last year, that track was used daily to deliver reefers and grain/covered hoppers to a transload area in the southernmost area of the yard. The track is owned by NYC and parts of it needed attention, so any MOW equipment would be good news. Yes many of the tracks are not used for spotting cars anymore.
 #1472148  by Plate C

I'm assuming you mean down at the produce market? The only transloading I've seen done in the area was being done illegally by a team of guys, lol. Only other area I can think might be some side tracks that are before the beer distributor, parallel to there.
In any event the tracks down Edgewater must still be in service from the number of railcars you can see down there. I assume that's all CSX. Any idea when they head down and back there? Right now it must be during the evening because the equipment I saw the other day was just out sitting, no workers in sight.
 #1472162  by DogBert

So far as I know that track is used daily. It goes into Hunts Point Terminal Market. If you look on google aerial images you'll see tons of cars in that property. Not all the tracks in the market are used, but last I looked they were getting long lines of reefers and grain cars.
 #1472215  by gregorygrice

Hunts Point Market Line is still used daily sometimes even twice a day to service the Market. First part of the move on that line involves all of the industries moving their stuff off of the line so the train can pass.
 #1472539  by Plate C

Any idea around when they make those moves? I've only seen them working the area once long time ago.