Railroad Forums 

• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1494105  by DogBert

Wow that is fast. I wonder how long it will be before it's put to use. If the idea is for NY&A to retrieve or tuck cars into that siding, do they need trackage rights filed?
 #1494115  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:Wow that is fast. I wonder how long it will be before it's put to use. If the idea is for NY&A to retrieve or tuck cars into that siding, do they need trackage rights filed?
Nope. NYAR rescues CSX on the Fremont Secondary from time to time. Its Secondary Track. You only need permission from the Oak Point Yard Master.
 #1494862  by DogBert

Rode past on sunday and the switch just south of roosevelt is gone, with the new track in place. Assuming the south end switch is in place, this siding is ready to use.
 #1495738  by AlKaLI

Spotted freight cars above the LIRR main this morning at 7:00 AM. Hard to tell if they were moving as there was barely enough sunlight. Good news is that the days are getting longer.

Couldn't quite tell but appeared that the freight was on the new second track in this area. The cars seemed further away from the embankment edge. With more sunlight; hopefully there will be better spotting opportunities.
 #1496633  by Train2009

I caught the Transfer train headed to Oak Point on the Hell Gate Bridge line at 7:55 AM this morning as seen from my train ride Metro North New Haven Line 6305 as it was leaving Harlem - 125 Street.
 #1498279  by AMK0123

freightguy wrote:Supposedly CSX is prepping GE power for East of Hudson freights. CSX dash 8 476 is at Croton West already for third rail plow work. The SD40-2s’ may disappear and retain the GP38’s for switching work.
Was curious if CSX has started running any GE widecabs down the Hudson Line into NYC. I just recently saw a pic of CSX 476, a GE AC44CW. Picture was taken in December after the above post and it doesn't look like the plow had been cut and painted for third rail operations.
rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=5068752
 #1498405  by Backshophoss

History has repeated itself again,"hand me down GE's" have returned to SEPO/OPSE,PC was first CR was second and now CSX as the third.
Wonder if there's a bunch of 4 axle GE's to take over the locals out of Oak Point.
 #1500251  by expbusop

How many GE's are available for east of hudson service and have they started using them yet? Anybody have pictures?
 #1500284  by gregorygrice

expbusop wrote:How many GE's are available for east of hudson service and have they started using them yet? Anybody have pictures?
3-4 and yes.
 #1502676  by AlKaLI

After not seeing anything for months, caught a freight stopped over the LIRR main yesterday at 5:30 PM. This morning at 7:00 AM those cars are still there. From Queens Blvd heading east (south) there were a large cut of C&D gons (looked empty), 3 tankcars, 3-4 COFC with green containers and boxcars right over the LIRR main. Wonder who was having trouble? Did CSXT run late and just dump the train leaving NY&A to pull it into Fresh Pond?
 #1502713  by gregorygrice

AlKaLI wrote:After not seeing anything for months, caught a freight stopped over the LIRR main yesterday at 5:30 PM. This morning at 7:00 AM those cars are still there. From Queens Blvd heading east (south) there were a large cut of C&D gons (looked empty), 3 tankcars, 3-4 COFC with green containers and boxcars right over the LIRR main. Wonder who was having trouble? Did CSXT run late and just dump the train leaving NY&A to pull it into Fresh Pond?
Cars being stored on the second track. That's one of the reasons it was constructed.