Railroad Forums 

• CSX Connecticut

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1507171  by shepaug

Anybody know what businesses are served by CSX west of New Haven,Ct. ? I know there is one customer left in Bridgeport,Ct. A lumber place next to some 'stone' company. The Stratford Industrial Track is unused I think. If there were any customers left I would just like to take a picture or two but I can't drive around endless looking for such possibility. I guess from taking Metro North one could look look look but I never ride such. (of recent times)
 #1507221  by Ridgefielder

West Haven: some sort of distribution warehouse (not sure of the company) and City Carting & Recycling.
Bridgeport: Northeast Building Supply
Darien: Ring's End Lumber
Mamaroneck, NY: Marval Industries

It's a shockingly short list when you consider how much freight business the New Haven had in this area even in the 1960's.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1507229  by Backshophoss

There was a lumber yard at New Canaan,with a couple of industry sidings on the Branch near Springdale ages ago.
The local out of Oak Point doesn't venture east past Stamford.
 #1507238  by shepaug

I went to CSX part of forum just to read and was not aware CSX was selling everything? around here. Ever see an actual list ?
 #1507283  by rb

Is Star Distribution still going?

What about the warehouse just east of West Haven station? The spur had been reconnected and put back in service after the station was built.
 #1604897  by Firetiger58

Why does CSX pay the CSOR to move their trains from W.Springfield to Cedar Hill and back when they still have track rights to do it themselves?
 #1604988  by jamoldover

Probably because they find it cheaper to do it that way. Consolidating the traffic also means fewer crews being used overall, and less potential interference with Amtrak.
 #1630131  by Dogbert666

Firetiger58 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:39 am Why does CSX pay the CSOR to move their trains from W.Springfield to Cedar Hill and back when they still have track rights to do it themselves?
This was one of those pre-CSX, 'Conrail Express' decisions made when they were selling off and outsourcing whatever local work they could. Given that 1990s culture, I never quite understood why they kept the local they run in New Haven.

I'm surprised they've never added an intermodal ramp to cedar hill. Lord knows there's still quite a bit of empty space in that yard, and the highways through the region are often traffic-clogged. I'm assuming clearance on the route to springfield is an issue (?).
 #1630140  by jamoldover

I believe at one point (under Conrail?) there was an intermodal ramp at Cedar Hill, and IIRC, the B&M even had rights down to Cedar Hill to use it. I think they eventually determined that the amount of business they would lose by having the trucks come to West Springfield instead was minimal at best, since most of the truck traffic that's passing Cedar Hill is heading south on 95, not west, and closed the ramp as a result.
 #1630312  by conductorchris

B&M still had rights to Cedar Hill to the end, just almost never used. Not sure what that means now, if B&E have inherited the reciprocal switching rights that included.

The CSX service between New York and New Haven was under agreement to sell to Providence & Worcester (along with Providence - Readville MA) when the Conrail split happened and stopped that transaction in its tracks. Also stopped railAmerica from taking over Conrail east of Attleboro or Framingham in Old Colony territory. I believe CSOR started just before and the transaction was completed before the spit but the planning intent was to farm out all of it to RailAmerican and P&W with the divisions worked out. Just never got completed.
 #1633028  by AMK0123

MNCRR9000 wrote:How often do Marval Industries and Rings End get deliveries?
I can't tell you how often they get serviced, but I did drive by Marval last week and observed two covered hoppers were spotted at the location, so yes, to date they are still being serviced by CSX...