Railroad Forums 

• Tracking down a train

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1505892  by ToledoRailFan

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. I am in the process of waiting on my new truck to be delivered to the east coast from the factory, and dealing with the GM tracking and logistics might just do me in.

Here is what I know:
  • As of last Thursday, 4/11 my truck was still in Ft. Wayne, Indiana at the GM plant - in status of waiting for train. The plant is actually in Roanoke, IN.
  • I found out this morning that my truck is supposedly due into the vehicle processing center at Jessup MD on Wednesday, 4/17. My dealer confirmed that is where it would be coming into before being transferred to truck.
  • I presume that it will be coming on CSX since this is a CSX facility. It looks like some sort of short line at the factory in Fort Wayne, though (I am thinking Elkhart & Western Railroad although an NS loco is visible on google maps in the yard at the plant)
  • The closest place I can find for service schedule tracking would be Monin, Indiana, which is actually 100+ miles west of Fort Wayne. I am not sure this is correct - but it at least would give me timetables on csx.com. Sadly. those show that it is a 9 day trip - so I am not sure that I have this right
  • Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the railcar number from GM so I am trying to spitball and work backwards from time tables to figure out the route my truck will be taking and a possible timeline.
Does anyone on here have any thoughts/insights/expertise on how I can figure this out - or do I just have too little information to go on?
 #1505902  by ExCon90

For GM to give you the car number ought to be basic; I don't know whether GM tracking and logistics is limited to interacting with a computer, but if you can talk with an actual human being they ought to be able to give you the car number. From there it should be easier to track with CSX.
 #1505903  by ToledoRailFan

It's live people I'm dealing with. Apparently that field is not populated for my vehicle's record, but I was told that is common.
 #1505937  by mmi16

Feel fortunate that you have received as much information as you have.

Just getting the vehicle to a loading location is no guarantee of when it will actually get loaded. The rail transportation between origin distribution center and destination distribution center should be a relatively normal period of time. Upon arrival at the yard serving the destination distribution center there is switching involved in actually getting the rail car placed for unloading. At the destination distribution center there are other constraints that affect the handling of a individual vehicle - availability of drivers to move the vehicles from the rail car to the holding area used before loading the vehicles on trucks for ultimate delivery to the dealer. There are times, for a multitude of reasons, where the holding area is full and vehicles cannot be unloaded from rail cars until space is created in the holding area. Transportation in all its facets is a juggling game and any facet can cause delay.
 #1507590  by mmi16

We have been waiting with baited breath - when did the OP get his vehicle delivered to him?