Railroad Forums 

• Connellsville PA intermodal and Q009 questions

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1505337  by WhartonAndNorthern

A few CSX intermodals are listed in the guide (I know it's unofficial) as "working" Connellsville, PA.
These include:
  • the Chicago-Chambersburg trains (Q015 and Q016) which are also listed as working McKees Rocks
  • the Portsmouth-North Baltimore trains (Q135 and Q136) which work McKees Rocks as well
  • the Chicago-Baltimore trains (Q137 and Q138) which also work McKees Rocks
I don't see any intermodal ramps on CSX for Connellsville. The Pittsburgh ramp is McKees Rocks. Are these trains block-swapping between each other? Are containers coming to Connellsville via interchange? (SWP? CN-WLE?)

Does Q009 (trailers + containers) make any intermediate stops between North Bergen and Chicago? I've seen it leaving on the Bergenfield webcam and then a day later on the Deshler cam with a different grouping of cars.
 #1507397  by atsf sp

Its been a few year since I worked at Cville but there are no containers interchanged there. There is also no ramp. I believe these trains now work the short pull so they will crew change in Cville and may work the yard possibly swapping cars or even picking up autoracks.
 #1507524  by mmi16

I suspect the 'work' for these trains at Connellsville is a crew change.

Through trains run with crews from Cumberland to New Castle (normal running time is 8 1/2 to 10 hours). With the identified trains now working at McKees Rocks I would expect them to be operating with 'short pool' crews Cumberland to Connellsville and Connellsville to New Castle - thus giving the crew time under the HOS law to work at McKees Rocks.

Q009 does not operate on the route over Sand Patch grade and through Connellsville.