CSX and ACSES

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Silverliner II
Posts: 4376
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:04 am
Location: Somewhere near a Philly railroad line...

CSX and ACSES

Post by Silverliner II » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:56 pm

While CSX has been equipping some random previously non-cab signal units with cab signals and ACSES (SD40-2's in the 8000, 8100, and 8300-series, as well as re-equipping some ex-Conrail 8800's), keep your eyes peeled for CSXT 479 (currently hanging out around Philly).

It is the first previously non-equipped CW44AC/AH unit to be equipped with cab signals and ACSES. It is capable of operating in all CSX and NS cab signal territories as well as all ACSES territories used by Amtrak, Metro-North, SEPTA, and in future, NJ Transit (via Shared Assets use, should it happen). The plows are notched and painted to indicate clearance for third rail on Metro-North.

The long-term plan is to equip a group of currently-non cab signaled CW44AC/AH units (all from 556 and below) with cab signals and ACSES in a similar fashion, but I do not know the timetable for that.

As for the 479, I had to cut in and test the ACSES on it prior to its first use leading an Eddystone oil train between RG and Eddystone over SEPTA on Tuesday.
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)

AMK0123
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: CSX and ACSES

Post by AMK0123 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Here's a couple more I recently saw on railpictures.net
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/688607/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/688176/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silverliner II
Posts: 4376
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:04 am
Location: Somewhere near a Philly railroad line...

Re: CSX and ACSES

Post by Silverliner II » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:16 pm

AMK0123 wrote:Here's a couple more I recently saw on railpictures.net
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/688607/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/688176/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice! A friend of mine saw and shot a photo of 487... that one has been done as well.
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)

fcqjx
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:54 am

Re: CSX and ACSES

Post by fcqjx » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:22 pm

Silverliner II wrote:While CSX has been equipping some random previously non-cab signal units with cab signals and ACSES (SD40-2's in the 8000, 8100, and 8300-series, as well as re-equipping some ex-Conrail 8800's), keep your eyes peeled for CSXT 479 (currently hanging out around Philly).

It is the first previously non-equipped CW44AC/AH unit to be equipped with cab signals and ACSES. It is capable of operating in all CSX and NS cab signal territories as well as all ACSES territories used by Amtrak, Metro-North, SEPTA, and in future, NJ Transit (via Shared Assets use, should it happen). The plows are notched and painted to indicate clearance for third rail on Metro-North.

The long-term plan is to equip a group of currently-non cab signaled CW44AC/AH units (all from 556 and below) with cab signals and ACSES in a similar fashion, but I do not know the timetable for that.

As for the 479, I had to cut in and test the ACSES on it prior to its first use leading an Eddystone oil train between RG and Eddystone over SEPTA on Tuesday.
Do the ACSES equipped engines also include I-ETMS systems for use on other CSX lines? Will CSX trains operating straight through on the Trenton line through Woodbourne (where the connection to NS's Morrisville Line crosses over at SEPTA's Wood interlocking to the Trenton line) need ACSES equipped engines (if not operating on any other of the SEPTA host routes)? NS is getting away without using ACSES on SEPTA hosted routes by using cab signal + I-ETMS engines.

ExCon90
Posts: 4507
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: CSX and ACSES

Post by ExCon90 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:15 pm

Do CSX units carry any external markings indicating which systems they're equipped with?

Silverliner II
Posts: 4376
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:04 am
Location: Somewhere near a Philly railroad line...

Re: CSX and ACSES

Post by Silverliner II » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:02 pm

ExCon90 wrote:Do CSX units carry any external markings indicating which systems they're equipped with?
While all CSX units can operate on all CSX and NS cab signal territories, the ones that additionally can operate in ACSES territory have their snowplows or front and rear pilots notched and the edges painted with a yellow stripe to indicate said notching for Metro-North third rail clearance. Some units had that notching prior to ACSES for running in that territory, but now it is going to all ACSES units since Metro-North is using an ACSES variant for their PTC.
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)

ExCon90
Posts: 4507
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: CSX and ACSES

Post by ExCon90 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks.

Backshophoss
Posts: 6327
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: CSX and ACSES

Post by Backshophoss » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:30 pm

Did they install all the cab signal and ACSES gear in the low nose or in a box on the Engineer's side walkway(a la CR)?
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

Silverliner II
Posts: 4376
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:04 am
Location: Somewhere near a Philly railroad line...

Re: CSX and ACSES

Post by Silverliner II » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 am

Backshophoss wrote:Did they install all the cab signal and ACSES gear in the low nose or in a box on the Engineer's side walkway(a la CR)?
Everything is crammed into the nose area on all their cab signal-equipped units. Cab signal box, ACSES, I-ETMS, the works.
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)

Return to “CSX Transportation”