Railroad Forums 

• OCS

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

OCS

#1485798  by Milepost 110

There doesn't seem to be a list of cars online that CSX uses for its OCS trains. Does anyone know what cars they use and/or where I can find that information?
 #1486050  by mmi16

CSX has about 12-15 cars in Office Car service. There are a number of different configurations. There are the traditional office cars that are configured for one or more Senior Executives to uses as office space while inspecting the property. The car will be staffed with a combination Porter/Cook jack of all trades to take care of the executive(s). There are also Diners and Sleepers for use in Customer inspection/sales trips where the number of people on the trip would surpass the ability of just a office car to support them. There are also HEP cars and other kinds of cars.

The cars are stored and maintained at the CSX facility at West Jacksonville that is in near proximity to the Dufford Dispatching Center. The business car locomotive fleet is maintained and serviced at the locomotive facility at Waycross, GA.
 #1551181  by jhdeasy

A reliable source tells me that CXS has acquired two Amtrak certified private cars for addition to their executive fleet.

One is a Budd dome-sleeper-lounge and the other is a Budd 10&6 sleeper. The dome-sleeper-lounge is of C&O/B&O ancestry, while the full sleeper was a SP Sunset Limited car.
 #1551220  by mmi16

jhdeasy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:51 am A reliable source tells me that CXS has acquired two Amtrak certified private cars for addition to their executive fleet.

One is a Budd dome-sleeper-lounge and the other is a Budd 10&6 sleeper. The dome-sleeper-lounge is of C&O/B&O ancestry, while the full sleeper was a SP Sunset Limited car.
If true, I am surprised it has taken 40 years to repatriate the former Budd dome car. I had many miles riding in it on the Capitol Limited as a kid.
 #1551388  by jhdeasy

mmi16 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:51 pm
jhdeasy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:51 am A reliable source tells me that CXS has acquired two Amtrak certified private cars for addition to their executive fleet.

If true, I am surprised it has taken 40 years to repatriate the former Budd dome car. I had many miles riding in it on the Capitol Limited as a kid.
Apparently, a specific senior executive saw the car and wanted it for assignment for his personal use. Some interior modifications will be made to suit this person’s preferences.

As to why this acquisition took so long, I suspect some combination of lack of interest on the part of Chessie System - CSX, combined with several previous private owners who may have declined offers to purchase the car from them.

Will be interesting to see if CSX keeps the full sleeper, or sells/trades that car.
 #1552927  by mmi16

jhdeasy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:05 pm
mmi16 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Apparently, a specific senior executive saw the car and wanted it for assignment for his personal use. Some interior modifications will be made to suit this person’s preferences.

As to why this acquisition took so long, I suspect some combination of lack of interest on the part of Chessie System - CSX, combined with several previous private owners who may have declined offers to purchase the car from them.

Will be interesting to see if CSX keeps the full sleeper, or sells/trades that car.
It will be interesting to see if CSX keeps the 'specific senior executive' employed. If the individual stays employed so will the car.