Railroad Forums 

• CSX Northern Branch

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1461555  by BVERailer

Is the CSX Northern Branch still in use today? I've seen it multiple times but I've never seen a train on it. The Ex-Erie-Lackawanna line east of the River Sub is the one I'm talking about.
 #1461563  by ExCon90

FWIW, way down on the New Jersey Railfan forum (most recent post June 25, 2017) there is a thread called Northern Branch customers through the years. I'm sure I've seen more recent posts than that on the subject, but can't find them now.
 #1461579  by mackdave

It is out of service above Demarest Ave in Englewood, a rail has been removed. Been about a year or so.

Dave Mackay
 #1461711  by BVERailer

So it is still in service, just only south of Englewood. I saw some freight cars on a spur not too far from Rt 4.
 #1461865  by RichM

Yup, there is still at least one customer just north of Route 4 around West Englewood Avenue, nothing active north of Palisade Avenue for a long time though.
 #1461968  by freightguy

The selected route consists of a 10-mile two-track extension from its current terminus at Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City north to the Englewood Hospital and Medical Center, generally along CSX Transportation’s Northern Branch running track. Plans include construction of seven stations in North Bergen, Ridgefield, Palisades Park, Leonia, and three in Englewood, along with parking for more than 2,700 vehicles.

That was part of a press release about expanding the Hudson-Bergen light rail line. 2/16/18
 #1462270  by ccutler

Yes by maximizing the number of stops, they can minimize the value of passengers' time.
 #1462347  by BVERailer

Interesting that they are only using the part of the line already in use. They should expand to at least the NY-NJ borded in like Northvale or Old Tappan. NJ Transit definitely has the money, and it even helps that tracks and stations are still there. But, I can't change their mind. Oh, well. Englewood is only a few minutes away anyhow.
 #1462436  by ExCon90

There's a whole discussion of this in the NJ Transit forum. Apparently the NIMBYs in Tenafly stood with linked arms and proclaimed "They Shall Not Pass."