Railroad Forums 

• Orange Juice train

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1459874  by Bobby S

Is it back? I can somewhat remember reading it was done. I caught the last three cars going over the Susquehanna from Havre De Grace into Perryville the other day.
 #1461749  by dgvrengineer

The cars are handled in a single stack CSX intermodal train as there are no longer enough cars to support its own train. I saw them southbound today going through Ashland, VA.
 #1461819  by ccutler

going through NJ the OJ train isn't combined with anything else, so somewhere south of here they are dropping the intermodal cars.
 #1462111  by mmi16

dgvrengineer wrote:The cars are handled in a single stack CSX intermodal train as there are no longer enough cars to support its own train. I saw them southbound today going through Ashland, VA.
Southbound are empties (light) - Northbound are loads (heavy). For the most part, empties have always been handled as a block in Southbound manifest trains.
 #1462400  by ekt8750

ccutler wrote:going through NJ the OJ train isn't combined with anything else, so somewhere south of here they are dropping the intermodal cars.
South Philly.
 #1492487  by ccutler

the orange juice crop in Florida is greatly diminished and I believe Tropicana has excess refrigerator cars for the lower shipping volumes. It's okay if it takes a little longer for their OJ to reach NJ as long as the OJ is fresh enough upon arrival, and Tropicana will hopefully save some money. The competition for fresh juice comes all the way from Brazil. I think they will do fine.
 #1492622  by mmi16

ccutler wrote:the orange juice crop in Florida is greatly diminished and I believe Tropicana has excess refrigerator cars for the lower shipping volumes. It's okay if it takes a little longer for their OJ to reach NJ as long as the OJ is fresh enough upon arrival, and Tropicana will hopefully save some money. The competition for fresh juice comes all the way from Brazil. I think they will do fine.
You hear two stories out of Florida about the Citrus crops -

Story #1 - There isn't enough migrant labor available to pick the crop and prices will increase!
Story #2 - There has been a freeze and a lot of crop was damaged and prices will increase!

Every year you get one of the other.