Railroad Forums 

• CSX Selling Trackage

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1459405  by mtuandrew

spRocket wrote:IAIS would certainly be a good fit for the New Rock Sub, given that CSX has already shrunk its portion of the Rock Island route. Originally, in the wake of the Rock Island liquidation, CSX ran it all the way to Bureau and the Peoria Branch to Henry. These days IAIS has all of the Peoria Branch and the main line from Utica westward.
Mhmm - if Rail Development Corporation can line up the financing, it’s an excellent fit with a lot of development opportunity.

Ironically, CSX might finally be willing to sell CN the ex-BOCT between Forest Park and the St. Charles Air Line. If you’ll all remember, that was the missing link in CN’s Iron Lariat around the Great Lakes that led them to buy the EJE instead, with all the tooth-gnashing and wailing THAT entailed.
 #1459431  by justalurker66

mtuandrew wrote:Ironically, CSX might finally be willing to sell CN the ex-BOCT between Forest Park and the St. Charles Air Line. If you’ll all remember, that was the missing link in CN’s Iron Lariat around the Great Lakes that led them to buy the EJE instead, with all the tooth-gnashing and wailing THAT entailed.
Seven miles of 10MPH railroad. And no direct connection to the St Charles Air Line (which is BNSF at one end and CN at the other). The urban professionals who overlook the CN Chicago Subdivision would rather see the St Charles Air Line removed than see additional trains.
 #1459834  by Knucklehead

bostontrainguy wrote:Concerning Framingham, it is an important crossroads for CSX freight as mentioned. However, the town of Framingham has been very interested in buying the north yard for development. It is a valuable WATERFRONT parcel of land and worth a lot of money as residential property.

There are four yards in Framingham! It's freight yard overkill. What's the possibility of reactivating the former auto yard (unused old Adesa) and the also unused (old GM?) yard just south of it. There is plenty of room to actually connect the two and make one big yard. It would also be remarkably isolated for being in a developed area. The east leg of the wye to the mainline could easily be put back in. The west yard could still be used especially to send freight up the Framingham Secondary towards Clinton.

There's probably a deal to be made here. Framingham gets it's downtown tax-producing waterfront neighborhood and CSX gets a large sum of money and a larger more modern yard.
I have to agree with an extremely informed and knowledgeable F-Line (I really don't know how he knows and retains so much about railroading in this area, but that is the subject of another post!!), When the auto and CP yards were in full swing servicing the GM Plant, Framingham was constantly throwing hissy fits about the noise, hours of operation, and the blocking of state Routes 126 and 135 (and a few town roads as well) by trains at all hours of the day and night.

Even though the CSXT Framingham operations are just a skeleton of their former glorious selves, there is no doubt in my mind that Framingham would go nuts if the operations were moved to the CP yard and into the neighborhoods of South Framingham. I believe that there is nothing more that Framingham would like is to see CSXT pack their bags, pull up all of their iron, and get out of town fast so they can develop all of their land, and turn the rails into trails. As much as this makes sense, I think the possibilities are slim to nearly none.
 #1459970  by FLRailFan1

Jeff Smith wrote:From Trains.com

CSX reviewing 8,000 miles of rail lines for potential sale

Brief, fair-use:CSX is expected to put a handful of subdivisions on the block every few weeks, according to people familiar with the matter.

Routes under review include:
The former B&O from Greenwich, Ohio, to Baltimore.
The former Boston & Albany main and related branch lines in Massachusetts.
The former Louisville & Nashville between Cincinnati and Atlanta.
Most of the former Baltimore & Ohio main linking East St. Louis, Ill., and Cincinnati.
Former Pere Marquette trackage in Michigan.
CSX’s cross-border incursions into Canada and related U.S. trackage.
The railroad’s hard-hit Appalachian coal network, including portions of the former Clinchfield.
Large sections of the Florence Division in the Carolinas.
The Dothan sub in Alabama and Georgia.
The Auburndale sub in Florida.
Branches and redundant trackage scattered around the system, including some in Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and New York.
Now just a question: Since the CSO (Connecticut Southern) has a paper barrier (from the Conrail days), if CSX sells the B&A, will the paper barrier be gone?

Interesting buyer for the B&A -- Housatonic.....😀

That would wreck a great railline...
 #1460040  by FLRailFan1

Rockingham Racer wrote:It''s been reported elsewhere that the B&A is off the table.
Oh, I guess they knew someone would snap it out...Cedar Hill might be bought by G&W? CSO and P&W owns it, it would be nice.,..
 #1460071  by dowlingm

The Trains.com piece quotes CSX:
"Based on an initial review of our network, the company has decided to put forth two rail segments near-term for a potential transaction: the Decatur and Danville Secondary Subdivisions in western Illinois and the Tallahassee and PA Subdivisions in the Florida Panhandle."
Isn't the Sunset Limited's former route east from Pensacola?
 #1460094  by gokeefe

Interesting timing for Gulf Coast route. Very surprising.
 #1461189  by Noel Weaver

I was once told by somebody in the union that CSX would sell any trackage that was a part of their system if the party came up with the right amount of money. I tend to believe that one. What is the right amount of money? Only CSX knows that one.
Noel Weaver
 #1462648  by Ironman

Now hearing G&W will begin negotiations for Worcester yard this spring.
 #1462820  by bostontrainguy

Since CSX has stated they are not interested in selling the B&A, I can't see why they would be interested in selling Worcester yard. That's kinda what they probably want to retain in Mass, isn't it?
 #1462863  by Backshophoss

The Worcester IM yard is cramped space wise and not easy to get to/from the pike(I-90) and limited access hours to keep the locals happy.
Figure on CSX to retain the West Springfield -Selkirk line haul,and give the various shortlines the local freight business,
Trailer/container drayage to/from Boston Metro area to a 24 hr accessible IM yard would be an "upgrade" for local drivers.