Railroad Forums 

• CSX Selling Trackage

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1458081  by Jeff Smith

From Trains.com

CSX reviewing 8,000 miles of rail lines for potential sale

Brief, fair-use:CSX is expected to put a handful of subdivisions on the block every few weeks, according to people familiar with the matter.

Routes under review include:
The former B&O from Greenwich, Ohio, to Baltimore.
The former Boston & Albany main and related branch lines in Massachusetts.
The former Louisville & Nashville between Cincinnati and Atlanta.
Most of the former Baltimore & Ohio main linking East St. Louis, Ill., and Cincinnati.
Former Pere Marquette trackage in Michigan.
CSX’s cross-border incursions into Canada and related U.S. trackage.
The railroad’s hard-hit Appalachian coal network, including portions of the former Clinchfield.
Large sections of the Florence Division in the Carolinas.
The Dothan sub in Alabama and Georgia.
The Auburndale sub in Florida.
Branches and redundant trackage scattered around the system, including some in Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and New York.
 #1458087  by djlong

Too bad we don't have an administration/congress that could see the possibilities for future passenger rail on a few of those routes.
 #1458094  by MCL1981

djlong wrote:Too bad we don't have an administration/congress that could see the possibilities for future passenger rail on a few of those routes.
For who?? Where?? Why?? The passenger rail we have now operates at great expense and almost always at a loss. Where would they possibly add passenger service on these routes that would see enough use to justify it, and not completely bankrupt everyone involved?
Last edited by MCL1981 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1458107  by Jeff Smith

The L&N is pretty huge chunk, and fairly busy I think. They were trying to get Georgia to waive putting passenger service on it (I think Georgia may actually own it?). Would be a huge chunk of the Floridian.
 #1458108  by RenegadeMonster

What is the most likely outcome of the sales.

Regional fright railways purchasing and using the lines.

States buying the tracks / preserving them for future fright and continued use as currently.

Or is there a real possibility these tracks could be lost to rail trail?
 #1458109  by J.D. Lang

WoW: Like a big liquidation sale. Nothing like cashing in on your assets. Sell it all CSX and let people take over that would want to try and grow a business. Railroading in the eastern US is going to get quite interesting in 2018.

J. Lang
 #1458151  by Gilbert B Norman

From reviewing the proposals as outlined at Newswire, essentially the entire B&O East of Greenwich OH: how does "Son of Yäger" expect to handle on-line traffic? There's none out of Pittsburgh?

I have to note that the emaciation of the Seaboard started with the '67 SAL-ACL merger. In effect, CSX is abdicating any traffic in Florida South of Tampa. Abandoning the Seaboard South of Ocala and cobbling together a routing into Tampa for the citrus traffic is indicative of such.

I guess one thing learned from the Yäger debacle on any road he was near, is that "Precision Railroading" does not mean swift railroading.

Lest we forget that if any of these wholesale abandonments come to pass, a shipper, who has become accustomed to having two roads available, could go running to the "Surf Board" and seek relief. This could be an invitation for "rereg" - and I don't think anyone within the industry wants to see that.

Baffling!
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1458152  by Backshophoss

Wonder if this includes Metro North freight rights,Oak Point Link and Yard,and freight trackage across Hellgate to Fremont(LIRR/NY&A interchange).
P&W(G&W) might be the "winner" here or NY&A getting rights to Oak Point Yard.
 #1458161  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote: In effect, CSX is abdicating any traffic in Florida South of Tampa. Abandoning the Seaboard South of Ocala and cobbling together a routing into Tampa for thee citrus traffic is indicative of such.
Do you know something we don't know? CSX has spent a huge amount of money seriously upgrading the S line south of Ocala and in fact is rebuilding several railroad crossings and relaying new rail between Ocala and Wildwood right now. Not to mention millions more spent building the new intermodal terminal in Winter Haven. There is very heavy traffic south of Ocala. Do you have info to support your comment?
 #1458163  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Trainguy, review the article at Newswire. It notes that the Auburndale Sub is on the block. That is the SAL South of Auburndale, and from that, it would appear that CSX is not interested in traffic anywhere South of Tampa.

The Ward regime spent the big buck for the Intermodal center near Bellevue OH. Now that is being phased down.
 #1458177  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Trainguy, review the article at Newswire. It notes that the Auburndale Sub is on the block. That is the SAL South of Auburndale, and from that, it would appear that CSX is not interested in traffic anywhere South of Tampa.

The Ward regime spent the big buck for the Intermodal center near Bellevue OH. Now that is being phased down.
I did read the article. That is nowhere near Ocala. I believe they are talking about between Auburndale and Miami and I'm sure starting just south of the intermodal terminal (Phase II auto yard to soon be added). Traffic is heavy south of Ocala and what you said didn't make sense.
 #1458201  by Gilbert B Norman

OK Mr. Trainguy, I should have said Wildwood vice Ocala. I have been to The Villages (that massive planned retirement community where if you voted for Hillary, you keep it to yourself and hope on hope the "thought police" don't extract it from you) and there is plenty of traffic by there (no passenger).

But we should note that Auburndale (28.06N) and Tampa (27.95N) are as good as the same latitude as one another; therefore I noted that the "disciples of Yäger" do not appear interested in traffic South of there. You noted that at Winter Haven, CSX has built a large intermodal terminal. This would appear a logical means to serve the Port of Tampa, and maybe they can "pick off" a Crowley or two from Miami or Ft Lauderdale moving such by highway.
 #1458216  by Robert Paniagua

The former Boston & Albany main and related branch lines in Massachusetts.

Those I think are being purchased by MaSSDOT for potential MBTA Commuter expansion especially to Springfield and further west and the spurs in Eastern Mass for more MBTA Services