Railroad Forums 

• Post EHH Changes for CSX

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1458683  by Backshophoss

It's Unknown if CSX will just sell off the local freights and retain the "line haul" rights from West Springfield and Oak Point yards.
Along with that,would the Paper Barriers left behind by CR would finally be defunct.
 #1458684  by D.Carleton

How about selling/leasing the Massena line to the NYSW? My rationale: this would make a single line route from Bingo to Montreal. NYSW is partially owned by NS and CSX. CSX can still run service in cooperation with CN. NS can have an alternate route from Enola to Montreal without getting in the way of traffic to Mechanicville or Amtrak. My last job in the region was moving some cars out of Saratoga Springs south to Mississippi. This was just after the south end of the D&H had been transferred to NS. It was a mess, it took a week just to get them to Mohawk. I'm guessing things have gotten better but it's always nice to have options.
 #1458760  by roberttosh

Not surprising to hear as the B&A, unlike the other lines listed, is not redundant nor is it a secondary/low density route. No way CSX was walking away from the Intermodal and Automotive franchise that this line supports (not to mention the significant carload business). Quite frankly, I can't think of any other line sale where a class one parted ways with such a critical corridor. The Montana Rail Link comes to mind, but even that route was somewhat redundant and was more of a bulk route than an Intermodal/Auto lane.
 #1458766  by QB 52.32

Whatever may happen with CSX's potential review of its New England franchise, folks need to rest assured that it has good market & financial value. Certainly the best rail franchise in New England in terms of service, market share and financial contribution. New England's high value rail traffic moves almost exclusively via the ex-B&A, full overhead clearance for stack & autos is huge, New England is one of CSX's and eastern railroading's longest haul markets, and CSX has pretty good balance with business in & out, all of which translates into higher financial contribution. Because of this I think there's at least as much chance for CSX retention as there is sale, either in entirety or portions with CSX protecting its commercial position, and Boston Line abandonment or sale to NS absolute non-starters.
 #1458855  by gokeefe

Nice to see this latest chapter of the post-EHH era drawing to a close. Hopefully CSX will continue to move forward with improved decision making.
 #1459905  by Leo_Ames

Sounds like the source for CSX locomotive news is backing off a bit on the mass retirement of SD60's being a done deal. A sign of the times at CSX, with things seemingly changing by the minute.

Some other interesting moves have gone on though this year. The fleet of gensets were retired last month for instance, which is a move that probably few railroaders will complain about given their reputation as hangar queens.
 #1463234  by gokeefe

Wholesale rejection of Harrison's legacy ... Doesn't get much worse than that.
 #1463859  by Noel Weaver

From what I have heard from a good source all dispatches in Selkirk will be in Jacksonville by next weekend. No more ride trips, dispatchers will dispatch trackage that they have never ridden over or know much about. It does not look very promising to me. Good luck to all the folks affected by this.
Noel Weaver
 #1464315  by Dick H

This was likely part of EHH's plan. He's gone, but the upheaval continues.
NC Dispatchers moving from Selkirk NY to Jacksonville FL by March 15th.
 #1466256  by ANRP2

Any news on Selkirk dispatchers?
Noel Weaver wrote:From what I have heard from a good source all dispatches in Selkirk will be in Jacksonville by next weekend. No more ride trips, dispatchers will dispatch trackage that they have never ridden over or know much about. It does not look very promising to me. Good luck to all the folks affected by this.
Noel Weaver
 #1466319  by mmi16

ANRP2 wrote:Any news on Selkirk dispatchers?
Noel Weaver wrote:From what I have heard from a good source all dispatches in Selkirk will be in Jacksonville by next weekend. No more ride trips, dispatchers will dispatch trackage that they have never ridden over or know much about. It does not look very promising to me. Good luck to all the folks affected by this.
Noel Weaver
The pattern that has been established for the previous Office moves is that the job holders in the old location will hold the same job in the new location. The unknown is those who decide not to move. Their jobs will be filled from the extra list that protects that division. Selkirk extra employees will be able to fill Selkirk positions, only, in Jacksonville.

Road Review is still an active element of the ATDA contract. How well the new CSX management will be in giving Dispatchers the opportunity to review their territory is open to question.
 #1468042  by consist

Anybody know the disposition of the former Tilford yard in Atlanta? I was just getting to be an occasional (3-4 times a year on business) visitor to Atlanta and Tilford/Inman watching when EHH & Co. tore down the hump. I was there in January and it was spooky to see not a single car in all of Tilford, and the tower leveled. What happens to the property now? Condos? Or will they keep some tracks for storage et cetera?