Railroad Forums 

• Hunter Harrison at CSX

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1442194  by Gilbert B Norman

Associated Press reports that coal is making a measurable comeback (note my avoidance of terms such as "surging").

Fair Use:
Mining data reviewed by The Associated Press show that production through May is up by at least 121 million tons, or 6 percent, for the three countries compared to the same period last year. The change is most dramatic in the U.S., where coal mining rose 19 percent in the first five months of the year, according to U.S. Department of Energy data....The reasons for this year's turnaround include policy shifts in China, changes in U.S. energy markets and India's continued push to provide electricity to more of its poor, industry experts said. President Donald Trump's role as coal's booster-in-chief in the U.S. has played at most a minor role, they said
We all know that there is no reasonable alternative for transporting the stuff than rail.

We further know "there's a lot of it" within Chessie's service region and it's kept her "purring away" over the years.

Now we look at Yäger's "CV" and note the absence of road's that handle the stuff (OK; a little on the IC).

The question of course is where does coal fit into his definition of "precision railroading" and will any unwillingness or inability to handle coal any further impair this comeback depriving the mines within the region to get their fair share of the increased extraction.

Let's end this missive with "enquiring mind wants to know".
 #1442278  by gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:The question of course is where does coal fit into his definition of "precision railroading" and will any unwillingness or inability to handle coal any further impair this comeback depriving the mines within the region to get their fair share of the increased extraction.
There are some significant political implications for CSX if the coal lobby in Washington is unhappy. Far more unpleasant than usual for the railroad in the current administration. If I were going to watch one traffic category in particular it would be intermodal. That has been CSX's lifeblood and ultimately their future in many ways lately. I would imagine that significant secular losses in that traffic category (more than 2%-3%), especially to competitors (NS) will not go over well.
 #1442414  by BR&P

They finally get rid of one president who was unfriendly to coal, only to have another appear right in their own midst.
 #1442966  by Gilbert B Norman

Maybe this link will find a "knothole" in the paywall:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/csx-cuts-f ... mail_share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
.CSX Corp. on Wednesday lowered some of its financial targets for the year after a summer of railway congestion and service woes as new CEO Hunter Harrison implements his precision railroading strategy.

The railroad said due to various operating challenges in July and August, it now expects its operating ratio, a closely watched metric, “around the high end of the mid-60s” percentage range, instead of being squarely in the mid-60s. Operating ratio is the percentage of revenue consumed by operating costs, so a decline represents an improvement.
Elmo; time to take your $82M and be on the next train out of town?
 #1443182  by ccutler

Do I understand correctly that part of EHH's cost savings plan is to centralize dispatching in a hurricane-prone and tornado-prone Florida location?

Brilliant risk management!

Let's see if Irma can change his mind.
 #1443334  by mmi16

ccutler wrote:Do I understand correctly that part of EHH's cost savings plan is to centralize dispatching in a hurricane-prone and tornado-prone Florida location?

Brilliant risk management!

Let's see if Irma can change his mind.
In the 20th Century the Jacksonville area was only affected by one 'near' direct hit - Dora in 1964.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Dora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no place on Earth that is immune from some form of natural catastrophe.
 #1443386  by ccutler

Yes, that's why banks are required to have 'disaster recovery facilities' far away from headquarters. Railroads should have a similar protocol for dispatching.
 #1443401  by RRspatch

ccutler wrote:Yes, that's why banks are required to have 'disaster recovery facilities' far away from headquarters. Railroads should have a similar protocol for dispatching.
Both the UP and the BNSF have backup dispatcher centers. While I don't know where the UP one is (supposedly it's in a nondescript office building some ways outside of Omaha) I do know where the BNSF one is ..... but I won't tell you. Both centers are kept ready to go should something happen to the main center. The biggest concern here in Fort Worth is Tornadoes. The BNSF NOC is supposedly rated for an F4.
 #1443417  by mmi16

ccutler wrote:Yes, that's why banks are required to have 'disaster recovery facilities' far away from headquarters. Railroads should have a similar protocol for dispatching.

CSX does have a alternative dispatch center at Indianapolis, unless EHH cut it from the budget.
 #1443438  by ExCon90

How do they staff a reserve dispatching center when they need it? Is there a trained provisional staff based locally who can drop their normal tasks and take over?
 #1443486  by R Paul Carey

Can anybody on this forum provide description of the flood threat - such as it is today - to the CSX consolidated dispatching center?
 #1443489  by mmi16

R Paul Carey wrote:Can anybody on this forum provide description of the flood threat - such as it is today - to the CSX consolidated dispatching center?
The Flood Evacuation Map of Jacksonville shows the KC Dufford Dispatch center to be on some of the highest land in Jacksonville. The St. Johns River which is the main water in Jacksonville is approximately 1.5 to 2 miles from the center.
 #1443491  by mmi16

ExCon90 wrote:How do they staff a reserve dispatching center when they need it? Is there a trained provisional staff based locally who can drop their normal tasks and take over?
When the center was 'home' for the bulk of CSX Dispatchers, volunteers were requested to go to the alternate center several days in advance. ie. those that intended to evacuate were given a place to evacuate to and on the company's dime. With EHH I would have my doubts how generous the temporary relocation would be.
 #1443499  by Gilbert B Norman

Ahh, good to learn that the dispatch center is located away from the Jacksonville HQ building on so aptly named - Water Street.