Railroad Forums 

• CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1480133  by Milepost20

Since Monday of this week a tie crew has been working between Southboro and Clinton. The 6206 is tied down at Teknor with the flats for loading the track machines. I didn’t see any new ties dropped north of Clint so it looks like that’s as far as they will go.
 #1480606  by arcadia terminal

Last Friday 7/19 in the PM there was a ballast regulator in the siding and two work trucks at the Linchfield St. crossing in Leominster, so they must be doing spot work on the end of the branch.
 #1480743  by johnhenry

On Monday 7/23 at 5:15pm I observed the train southbound crossing Rt62 in Lancaster. It was backing up, with 6 empty center-beams followed by 2 box and 3 tanks pushed by 2 engines. The engine horn was sounding the crossing signal (from 11 cars away) and there was no protection at the crossing or anyone on the train at that end. I guess they didn't want to go all the way to Leominster for the run-around but I was pretty surprised to see this - crossing at a State Highway that way! Is that kosher? Since they had 2 engines they could have split them at the lumber yard siding so as to be able to lead southbound.
 #1486327  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

johnhenry wrote:On Monday 7/23 at 5:15pm I observed the train southbound crossing Rt62 in Lancaster. It was backing up, with 6 empty center-beams followed by 2 box and 3 tanks pushed by 2 engines. The engine horn was sounding the crossing signal (from 11 cars away) and there was no protection at the crossing or anyone on the train at that end. I guess they didn't want to go all the way to Leominster for the run-around but I was pretty surprised to see this - crossing at a State Highway that way! Is that kosher? Since they had 2 engines they could have split them at the lumber yard siding so as to be able to lead southbound.
should prolly have kept some details of that story to yourselve....pple wonder why RR'ers dislike buffs
 #1487527  by Douglasphil

CSX is very strict regarding 'shove' rules and I am very certain the crew did not blind shove across a State Highway. The conductor was riding the point but you just didn't happen to see him. If they had hit an auto or pedestrian doing that the consequences would have been dire and all crew members are well aware of that.
 #1492452  by Spacecase2012

johnhenry wrote:On Monday 7/23 at 5:15pm I observed the train southbound crossing Rt62 in Lancaster. It was backing up, with 6 empty center-beams followed by 2 box and 3 tanks pushed by 2 engines. The engine horn was sounding the crossing signal (from 11 cars away) and there was no protection at the crossing or anyone on the train at that end. I guess they didn't want to go all the way to Leominster for the run-around but I was pretty surprised to see this - crossing at a State Highway that way! Is that kosher? Since they had 2 engines they could have split them at the lumber yard siding so as to be able to lead southbound.
As a former conductor, there's no way in heck there wasn't a conductor on the back. The guys out there aren't dumb. He was probably just on the other side. I agree with what someone else said, keep some details to yourself or you could get people in trouble. Same reason they hate getting their picture taken. Higher ups have been known to frequent railfan sites and see pictures they don't like. What happened on the NEC wth a trailing loco that made Csx quit using them?
 #1499151  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Backshophoss wrote:CSX no longer allows "top and trailing" locos on each end of a local freight,due to an accident on the NEC with a trailing loco.
What was the incident you reference. I vaguely remember the new rule of now locomotive on rear unless it is manned, but I thought it stemmed from some sort of incident where the loco got away or was stolen.
 #1499206  by Backshophoss

Believe it was a "run away" on a NEC freight local,trailing unit was not set up properly after a switching move.
The Ban came a day or 2 later.
 #1511758  by Knucklehead

Massive amounts of MOW track machinery have been working on the Fitchburg Running Track this week. There are ties piled up along side of the line. Looks like tie and tie plate replacement, perhaps resurfacing (although most of the ballast which was last dumped by Conrail has disappeared into the track bed).

CSXT just did a tie replacement on this line last year, however, it still needed a great deal of work after that!! I observed (from a safe distance) many old tie plates cut in half on totally rotted and missing ties, broken joint bars, etc.