Railroad Forums 

• Film crew struck by CSX train in Wayne County, Ga.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1253000  by judgesmails

Trainman101 wrote:Looks like they were on the main line and single track bridge.
I noticed the same thing - this is a single track bridge. News reports (including this one: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... h-20140225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) are indicating that they were filming with "two trains, when a third unexpectedly appeared". I can't see how two other trains could even be located anywhere near the bridge, without completely blocking access for train #3 (not to mention the fact that CSX would be well aware of the other two trains). Sounds like fiction.
 #1253082  by MattW

Backshophoss wrote:Earlier today on the WBBM stream,this "BioPic" is/was due out in 2015,figure on this
project getting shelved for a couple of years while the lawyer/sharks are at work.
This will become a 3 way circus between the paper plant involved,CSX,and the production Co at the least.

IN any paper plant,it's a given that something is always on the move,Rail cars,forklifts,wood handling machines
whatever. This plant's safety guy is on the hook,as is the production Co.
The Question will become,was CSX notified to NOT switch that track??
and any documentation to prove that notice was given??
It doesn't appear that the bridge is all that close to the plant itself nor any industrial route other than one dirt road, they were merely on the property near CSX's mainline. Whether or not that means the plant's safety guy had any part in this, I don't know, and refuse to speculate.
judgesmails wrote:
Trainman101 wrote:Looks like they were on the main line and single track bridge.
I noticed the same thing - this is a single track bridge. News reports (including this one: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... h-20140225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) are indicating that they were filming with "two trains, when a third unexpectedly appeared". I can't see how two other trains could even be located anywhere near the bridge, without completely blocking access for train #3 (not to mention the fact that CSX would be well aware of the other two trains). Sounds like fiction.
They weren't shooting the two trains, apparently the two trains went by and they were told about them, but weren't told about a third. The only reason I can see being told about train movements without the people having permission to be on the tracks is simply courtesy so they know when to stop filming to keep the trains and horns out of the film. In short, they were all simply through trains and not part of the filming as near as I can tell from the sources so far.
 #1253134  by MaineCoonCat

MattW wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Earlier today on the WBBM stream,this "BioPic" is/was due out in 2015,figure on this
project getting shelved for a couple of years while the lawyer/sharks are at work.
This will become a 3 way circus between the paper plant involved,CSX,and the production Co at the least.

IN any paper plant,it's a given that something is always on the move,Rail cars,forklifts,wood handling machines
whatever. This plant's safety guy is on the hook,as is the production Co.
The Question will become,was CSX notified to NOT switch that track??
and any documentation to prove that notice was given??
It doesn't appear that the bridge is all that close to the plant itself nor any industrial route other than one dirt road, they were merely on the property near CSX's mainline. Whether or not that means the plant's safety guy had any part in this, I don't know, and refuse to speculate.
judgesmails wrote:
They weren't shooting the two trains, apparently the two trains went by and they were told about them, but weren't told about a third. The only reason I can see being told about train movements without the people having permission to be on the tracks is simply courtesy so they know when to stop filming to keep the trains and horns out of the film. In short, they were all simply through trains and not part of the filming as near as I can tell from the sources so far.
Hope this helps... Google Earth's measurement tool shows the distance from the paper plant's switch to the center of the bridge as about 1 km (0.62 mi.). I posted the "placemark" via the "Google Earth Community" but don't know if it's up on Google Earth yet. You should be able to get the .KMZ from my posting HERE.

#1253179  by mmi16

The only way you get PERMISSION to be on CSX tracks is for a qualified CSX employee to get a Form EC-1 from the Train Dispatcher for the territory. No EC-1 = No permission.

E-Mail communicition between the film production company and CSX has shown that the film production company was denied permission to be on CSX tracks.
 #1253432  by Watchman318

^^^ Pretty much what I expected, that either CSX wasn't consulted at all, or maybe had told them they couldn't be there.

The whole business about "working with two trains" suggests to me that they just filmed same, maybe for "color" or whatever.

"Freight train, each car looks the same, all the same.
And no one knows the Gypsy's name
No one hears his lonely sighs,
There are no blankets where he lies."

Gregg wrote that way back in '67.
 #1253635  by MaineCoonCat

[quote="At 7:47 PM EST on Feb 26, 2014 In an article entitled "NEW INFORMATION: Film crew knew train tracks were active", Jamison Dowd, Assignment Editor of the WSAV TV. staff"]

UPDATE: A new incident report was released by the Wayne County Sheriff's Office that shows the film crew may have not have had permission to be on the CSX tracks. When Executive Producer Jay Sedrish was asked if he had permission to be on the trestle or be on the train tracks, Mr. Sedrish replied "That's complicated." The report goes on to say that according to a CSX employee, the production company had previously been denied permission to film on the trestle, and there was an e-mail to verify that fact. The e-mail was between Charlie Baxter, the location manager and CSX employee Carla Groleau. Finally the report says while speaking with the director, Randall Miller, that he was asked who owned the production company or who would be in charge, the report says Miller said "He guessed that would be he and his wife."[/quote]
Read more at WSAV's web site

Uh-huh..
 #1253686  by Greg Moore

papabarn wrote:[quote="At 7:47 PM EST on Feb 26, 2014 In an article entitled "NEW INFORMATION: Film crew knew train tracks were active", Jamison Dowd, Assignment Editor of the WSAV TV. staff"]

UPDATE: A new incident report was released by the Wayne County Sheriff's Office that shows the film crew may have not have had permission to be on the CSX tracks. When Executive Producer Jay Sedrish was asked if he had permission to be on the trestle or be on the train tracks, Mr. Sedrish replied "That's complicated." The report goes on to say that according to a CSX employee, the production company had previously been denied permission to film on the trestle, and there was an e-mail to verify that fact. The e-mail was between Charlie Baxter, the location manager and CSX employee Carla Groleau. Finally the report says while speaking with the director, Randall Miller, that he was asked who owned the production company or who would be in charge, the report says Miller said "He guessed that would be he and his wife."

Uh-huh..[/quote]

I see charges being filed in the future. Not only did they not have permission, they had asked for and been denied it. That's bad.
 #1253692  by BR&P

When Executive Producer Jay Sedrish was asked if he had permission to be on the trestle or be on the train tracks, Mr. Sedrish replied "That's complicated."
Actually it seems simple - the answer was "no".
 #1253748  by mmi16

Greg Moore wrote:
papabarn wrote:[quote="At 7:47 PM EST on Feb 26, 2014 In an article entitled "NEW INFORMATION: Film crew knew train tracks were active", Jamison Dowd, Assignment Editor of the WSAV TV. staff"]

UPDATE: A new incident report was released by the Wayne County Sheriff's Office that shows the film crew may have not have had permission to be on the CSX tracks. When Executive Producer Jay Sedrish was asked if he had permission to be on the trestle or be on the train tracks, Mr. Sedrish replied "That's complicated." The report goes on to say that according to a CSX employee, the production company had previously been denied permission to film on the trestle, and there was an e-mail to verify that fact. The e-mail was between Charlie Baxter, the location manager and CSX employee Carla Groleau. Finally the report says while speaking with the director, Randall Miller, that he was asked who owned the production company or who would be in charge, the report says Miller said "He guessed that would be he and his wife."

Uh-huh..
I see charges being filed in the future. Not only did they not have permission, they had asked for and been denied it. That's bad.[/quote]
It only gets complicated when you don't have permission and there is a record that you were denied permission.
 #1253883  by MaineCoonCat

[quote="At 2:43 p.m. EST on February 27, 2014 In an article entitled "Allman film 'shutting down' after Ga. train crash", an unattributed writer of the AP (via USA TODAY) staff"]
A train struck and killed one crew member and injured seven others during filming

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Filmmakers have shelved production on a movie about the life of Gregg Allman a week after a freight train killed one crew member and injured seven others, a Savannah city official said Thursday.

Filming of the movie Midnight Rider, starring William Hurt as the Allman Brothers Band singer in his later years, was just getting started when the train crashed into the crew and its equipment Feb. 20 on a trestle crossing the Altamaha River in rural Wayne County. Sheriff's investigators said the film crew had permission to be on private property adjacent to the train tracks, but not on the tracks themselves.

Following the collision, producers requested a permit through the Savannah Film Office to film at a private home in the city next week, said William Hammargren, the film office director working closely with the project. But he said they told him Wednesday night that work on the project was being halted, at least temporarily.[/quote]

Read more at USA TODAY's web site
 #1253926  by ExCon90

mmi16 wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:

Uh-huh..
I see charges being filed in the future. Not only did they not have permission, they had asked for and been denied it. That's bad.
It only gets complicated when you don't have permission and there is a record that you were denied permission.[/quote]
That's why he said complicated -- it's a weasel word people can use to avoid saying yes or no. And he certainly didn't want to be quoted saying no.
 #1267397  by Snowmojoe

Bored at work today and started reading this string. Big fan of The Allmans, sad to see this had to happen. Gregg Allman has seen more than his share of bad things go down. What's worse is that it seems that the poor girl died because instead of running she paused to worry about the film crew's expensive gear.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainme ... l-moments/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From reading the earlier links, if she had just run, she may not have gotten hit by the pieces of the bed.

I was expecting this to be some low-budget fanboy film, but after reading more about it, William Hurt was cast as Gregg Allman. So I would guess this CAN'T have been that low budget that they couldn't afford to get this properly worked out with CSX in advance. Hurt was *on* the bridge, laying on the bed in question (with no shoes on, no less) when the horn sounded. As a result of the accident, Hurt has pulled out of the film and to his credit Gregg Allman is now calling for the filming to be abandoned out of respect for Sarah Jones (the girl killed by the train):

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainme ... ght-rider/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20140425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, none of the above should be construed as an attempt to excuse the UTTER STUPIDITY of trying to pull this off without proper clearances. Really, really stupid.