Railroad Forums 

• CSX Intermodal Customers Springfield, MA

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1239688  by chrispav92

Does anyone know if CSX intermodal is used by the USPS bulk mail NDC facility in Springfield, MA? Consulting google maps it appears that various UMAX containers will show up at the facility. In a recent visit to WSP Yard I noticed a FedEx Ground 53 trailer being dropped off at the intermodal yard. Might the FedEx trailer be related to the USPS NDC?

Chris
 #1239853  by Jedijk88

According to a source I have at the Post Office, all traffic routed for the Bulk Mail Center is moved via truck over the highway. Coast to coast traffic is done with team drivers. At one time, the Post Office utilized Amtrak to haul mail / parcels but this has since proved inefficient due to the transloading needed at the Amtrak terminals.
 #1240204  by QB 52.32

CSX does handle Springfield BMC intermodal traffic as evidenced by the UMAX boxes. Much of it may not be for the account of the US Postal Service per se, but, there is 3rd class mail that once had been USPS traffic that now moves via other carriers due to postal rate incentives for its customers to purchase their own transportation to tender mail as deeply into the USPS's distribution network as possible. So, CSX is handling magazines and direct mail pieces (eg. catalogs, coupon packs, etc.), possibly some parcels, for the accounts of Schneider, Hunt, Hub City, etc., quite possibly for the direct-mailers themselves, which will be entered into the USPS distribution stream at the Springfield BMC or other area facilities. Very likely they handle postal equipment also (pallets, bags, racks, etc.) and some 3rd or 4th class mail. The West Springfield intermodal terminal has a long history of handling traffic associated with the Springfield BMC. Amtrak, despite success in soliciting traffic, chose to exit the mail handling business when David Gunn served as their president. FedEx, on the other hand, is a relative newcomer to intermodal and most likely that FedEx move at WSP was related to their own traffic and not with the USPS.
 #1240265  by kt9797

I don't know if this helps with your question at all but I work at fedex. I know both fedex and ups have joint services with the USPS where we pickup trailers of pkgs from large retailers and move them through our systems and then deliver to a USPS facility or they get from either companies facilities and make the final delivery. It is called a smartpost product for each UPS and FEDEX. They do stand a chance of being move intermodel although I can't say definately
 #1240267  by Backshophoss

Believe Fed -x ground or Fed-x dedicated ops(former Watkins fgt) has a deal with USPS on the Prioity Mail ops (flat rate boxes or enevlopes)
between BMC's, Fed-x Freight and Fed-x dedicated ops are regular users of Intermodel services,as needed for Fed-x ground for mty trailer
moves across the US to balance the trailer fleet .