Railroad Forums 

• Metro-North cars.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1209433  by theseaandalifesaver

Saturday afternoon I was in Springfield, MA waiting for my Amtrak train. While I was waiting I saw a (what I assume is a local because if the small load) train with one engine, a few tank cars and about 6-8 Metro-North cars heading east on the mainline.

Any idea why the cars were heading this way and where they were going?
 #1209483  by F-line to Dudley via Park

theseaandalifesaver wrote:Saturday afternoon I was in Springfield, MA waiting for my Amtrak train. While I was waiting I saw a (what I assume is a local because if the small load) train with one engine, a few tank cars and about 6-8 Metro-North cars heading east on the mainline.

Any idea why the cars were heading this way and where they were going?
Scrapper. Those are the retired M2 cars. CSO picks them up from New Haven, they lay over in Hartford Yard for a day or so, then go to CSX in W. Springfield. I don't know why West Springfield, because it would seem less complicated for MNRR to tow them up the Hudson Line for CSX to take them on straight shot to Selkirk. But either they don't want to waste space in Selkirk classifying such low-priority goods or West Springfield is where the scrappers get to look the cars over before placing bids on which ones they want.

This has been happening all year as the new M8's replace the old M2's. A half dozen every couple weeks or so as MNRR decomissions them. By this point next year there'll probably be some M4 and M6's showing up in Hartford and West Springfield as the last of the M2's go.