Railroad Forums 

• Derailment in Baltimore County, MD (5/28/2013)

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1194067  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

OK folks, Looking at the area from 'Birds eye' sky views. The grade crossing is labeled as 66th St. Which dead ends at a trucking yard of some type on the other side of the tracks from the point of view of the camera in link 1.. Therefore the truck had to cross those tracks to get to that yard, and was hit on the way back out. The trucking Co with the cameras had no business with this truck, they're camera was focused on the gate entrance of they're Co, and the grade crossing happens to be in the line of site across Lake Dr just adjacent to they're gate.

Heres a link to the sky view:

http://binged.it/145NkIn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PS.
That yard appears to be trash bin facility. And it was a trash carrier that was struck.. I don't know the laws in MD regarding these types of trucks or drivers or how well they are policed. But I can say that around here ( the Pa/ NJ boarder) areas, These drivers are payed by the load and have little, or no regard for safety. If you aint doin 85 in the left lane.....Get out of the way or your getten pushed out of the way. That said, It wouldn't surprise me to find out this guy thought he could beat the train to the x-ing.

Jim
Last edited by Jim in S.E. Pa. on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1194272  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

The web site will not allow the whole address to be copied and pasted, but if you look up the tax parcel map for 1200 66th St, Rosedale, Md. at :
http://myneighborhood.baltimorecountymd.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will see that none of the tax parcel boundary lines of any nearby properties encompass that grade crossing.. So it would seem its, State, County, or Twp, property, and RR ROW. Which would make me think "Public Crossing". I cant find any legit legal maps of that area so as to determine if 66th st is a "Paper Street" at the crossing..

Jim
 #1194578  by sd80mac

That's BS! driver KNEW there is crossing there... it's not his first trip down this road or private driveway... he knew that it's hard to see around the vegs which should get him to crawling around the corner prior to crossing.

and someone mentioned here that he could hear horn blowings for numberous of crossing before train finally show up there.

I BET that this driver was RACING against train and trying to beat train at the crossing it clearly shows that he was zipping around the corner way faster than HE SHOULD BE! His boss should see that his driver is driving reckless with his truck and fire him on the spot, even if he's lying in pain inside the wrecked truck.
 #1194953  by Mike Doughney

New Sun article as of an hour ago... somewhat of a role reversal from the usual post grade crossing accident lawsuit.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... 4865.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosedale train derailment leads to suit against truck driver
CSX alleges that John Jacob Alban failed to slow his truck and look for trains

By Ian Duncan, The Baltimore Sun
6:31 p.m. EDT, June 19, 2013

The rail transport company CSX is suing the truck driver involved in last month's Rosedale train crash, arguing that he did not take proper care when crossing the railroad tracks.

The suit, filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Baltimore, names John Jacob Alban Jr. and his company, Alban Waste LLC, as defendants. CSX's lawyers allege that Alban failed to slow his truck down and "exercise due care" as he crossed the tracks. The suit also cites federal safety violations by the company concerning drug and alcohol testing, driver qualification files and vehicle inspection reports.
 #1195690  by MBTA1052

By any chance does anyone know the engines that were destroyed in this derailment? Because it looks like a SD40-2 and maybe Dash9. Also, if they did get derail what would have caused them to derail if for one they were on a straight track along with being in Energency.
 #1195773  by Freddy

MBTA1052 wrote:By any chance does anyone know the engines that were destroyed in this derailment? Because it looks like a SD40-2 and maybe Dash9. Also, if they did get derail what would have caused them to derail if for one they were on a straight track along with being in Energency.
Hitting the truck could have caused the engines front end to ride up onto the vehicle itself, that could have done it, plus the slack action, braking and a host of other things, I would imagine.
 #1196467  by Mike Doughney

More this afternoon.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/06/ ... erailment/
TOWSON, Md. — Police say driver error caused an explosive derailment of a CSX freight train near Baltimore last month.

Baltimore County police say the train hit a garbage truck at a crossing.

They issued seven traffic citations to 50-year-old John J. Alban Jr. He was driving the truck in the May 28 crash in Rosedale.
 #1196877  by MBTA1052

Thanks for the response, I was watching the video feeds and I see the train collide with the truck and I believe the car after the SD40-2 might have been a flatbed which derailed, but could the engines also cause the massive cloud of smoke that the fire department couldn't put out or did they some how avoid the wreck? Also, noting that the crew of Q409 was in good shape after the hit?