Railroad Forums 

• CSX Readville Yard Boston

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#558291  by CSX Conductor

The former Stop & Shop building was originally re-opened by a business man who used to work for Tighe Warehouse in Mansfield and he's grown his business significantly since he first moved in. He has gotten wine in as well as roofing shingles in by rail and also a different type of shingle product in by truck and out by rail.

Re:

#942187  by MBTA1016

CSX Conductor wrote:Matt, as Mary said to Ted in Something About Mary, "I'm just f#cking with ya"! :P

During the winter Home Depot and many other lumber companies tend to slow down a bit due to less construction in the winter. This has made an impact, but it will pick up in a month or two. Bird/Certainteed in East Walpole sometimes orders alot of cars at once from their supplier and other times they order a few at a time.....depending on costs of product, either way they can only unload 3 cars a day. The Boston Globe's warehouse was pretty well stocked last week because they received about 20+ cars earlier in the week. US Gypsum usually gets 3 or 4 cars into the yard at a time but has them all unloaded the same day. General Motors' parts warehouse at Rte128 moved out a few months ago which adds to the decrease in cars as well. Also the Boston Railway Terminal was served legal papers for eviction process AGAIN last week and even though he has cars en-route they will not be delivered. They have been re-routed to the P&W where he will have to unload them at one of his locations in Providence.

Even when the yard seems deserted sometimes there is still a steady flow, just not noticeable because the customers are ordering just enough to fill their sidings as opposed to ordering too many cars and paying for them to be held in the yard.

Bird/certainteed dosent get cars anymore at least I don't think they do because I heard somewhere that the bridge over dean st north of the plant is going to get taken down besides they get truck traffic every weekday I know this because I live near the plant

Also, last week someone supposedly signed a leas for the old Stop & Shop warehouse and hopefully he will do rail, which would be more business. :-)
 #1174675  by theseaandalifesaver

Why is the Readville yard almost completely empty? I figured with the closing of Beacon Park, Readville would remain a little busier than usual.

Does the eastern part of the state even do ANY freight business anymore?
 #1174917  by frrc

theseaandalifesaver wrote:Why is the Readville yard almost completely empty? I figured with the closing of Beacon Park, Readville would remain a little busier than usual.

Does the eastern part of the state even do ANY freight business anymore?
Freight has been shifted to Framingham, Westboro and Worcester yards..
 #1175110  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

It depends on the time of day, and time of the week you travel pass the yard. Yes, freight traffic is based out of those 3 major yards, but as of last check, Readville is still used. There is the RTE 128 industrial Park and Stoughton Branch that are served out of Readville. Also, there is a freight that travels Readville-Walpole-Framingham. But then again, this was back in January that we as a group last tralked about Readville. Also there is the cold storage behind the yard itself, the freight you'll see are loaded centerbeam cars, box cars filled with various goods, and cold storage cars. 2 of the jobs start early, 8am on duty?? so if you travel by the yard round noon, good bet is the yard will be empty
 #1175970  by highwayman

Here's what observed at Readville he past few weeks. B-710 seems to make a daily trip to the Walpole industrial track daily at late morning, then returns to make a second trip to the 128 industrial park.
Also, I've seen B-732 (I think that's the number) arrive from Framingham after 4pm, do some switching, then return to Framingham after 6pm. Depending on the day of the week, this train's car count can range from 5 to 50. I think this train is Readville's connection to the rest of the country. Late at night, while at home I've heard the dispatcher talking to other freights on the Franklin and Fairmont lines. I hope that helps a bit.

b
 #1176428  by Narrowgauger

The last few weeks ive chased the frieght from readville to framingham at about 930 am. It has returned about 7-9 pm. Sunday the car count was 66 cars sitting in Readville. 5 tracks with strings of 10-14 cars. You may of been in the yard when most of the locals were out. There are anywhere from 4-5 GP40-2s assigned to Readville. Thats how to tell whats in or out. This is no where near the amount of traffic for the PC or CR days. But its all we have left around here!
Ted
 #1176588  by theseaandalifesaver

When I was there I counted a total of 5 cars in the entire yard. I figured freight had really slowed down in the yard. Glad to hear that it's still relatively active.
 #1181425  by Narrowgauger

FYI.....Sunday 5/5/2013.... 4 Gp40-2s 78 cars. Except for 5 loaded bulheads ...all boxs . At this rate maybe some day RESE/SERE might make a comeback....(no such luck!).
Ted
 #1278138  by theseaandalifesaver

What's the Readville yard up to these days? I stopped by yo take a look today and it looks very empty. Where do trains from Readville usually come/go? Mostly locals? This might be the only yard left in Boston.
 #1278155  by highwayman

I live nearby, and can give you a partial answer. The main CSX train out of readville seems to be B731. It makes a daily round trip to Framingham and back, usually out of Readville about 9 or 10 AM, arriving back in Readville about 4:30 or 5 PM. I think this train is readville's connection to the outside world. The car count on this train varies day to day, Mondays seem to be the heaviest. Other locals include B710 that serves the 128 industrial park, and maybe a lumberyard on the Stoughton branch. B710 also makes an occasional trip to a customer on the Walpole industrial track in Norwood. In the evening, B732 heads out onto the Franklin branch, primarily to serve Foxboro Terminals on the Framingham secondary line. I think there might be one more local at night to serve cold storage warehouses near South bay yards, but I'm not certain. There may be others I don't know about, others out there may know better than me. I hope that helps.
 #1278235  by Narrowgauger

Highwayman is right. However I too live nearby and have to say since Beacon park closed Readville has seen an increase in cars. Used to be only 10-20 cars but now its routinely 50-60. There is a local into Boston as well as the ones mentioned. As a matter of fact the 3 GP 40-2s in the yard has had a 4th unit added. This past Sat was very unusual as there was a train out on the road. I went by and found only 1 unit there.
Ted
 #1278401  by QB 52.32

There's no reason to have left anything at Beacon Park and Readville isn't doing anything new or different since the Park closed. Framingham has taken on what relatively little work remains once the intermodal, transloading and Romar moved west.