Railroad Forums 

• questions about B&O Met

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1153937  by dynamiter

I have a couple questions - can anyone explain the following:

1. I've heard a little about a "tonnage rule" for WB freights operating down the long Barnesville 1% grade.
Is there a max permitted speed i.e. 35 mph, and what is the tonnage threshold for the speed restriction?

2. What's the latest info on CSX clearance work along the ROW to enable double stacks? Is it true that
MOW is working from E from Cumberland, raising and/or daylighting tunnels? What if any work is going
to be done along the Met sub b/t Brunswick and QN? For instance, there is a one-lane highway overpass
with low clearance at Wash Grove. I assume this will be raised? A local RR fan told me that CSX was going
to drop the grade instead...I just have a hard time believing that one!

Thanks!
 #1154048  by charlie6017

It's not unheard of at all to shave a little bit off to remedy clearance issues. It's a hell of a
lot faster to lower road-bed than it is to rebuild bridges, daylight tunnels, etc.

And it's definitely less expensive.

Charlie
 #1154151  by poppyl

I'll have to do a little research on the Barnesville tonnage. You might want to post this over on the MD forum.

You are correct about the effort coming east from Cumberland. I am familar with the bridge at Washington Grove. At one time I believe the plan was to close the road and dismantle the bridge. The last that I heard was that CSX would either raise the old bridge or possibly build a new two lane bridge adjacent to the old one since closing the road wouldn't fly with the locals. While they are at it, I think that they will widen the ROW cut under the bridge for a possible third track in the future (MARC funded?). IMO, that area is too tight to drop the ROW enough to compensate for the low bridge. Of course, when discussing CSX plans, never say never.

Poppyl
 #1189343  by LVfastfreight

I could check the bullitens and timetables but I know 4 years ago there wasn't a tonnage/speed restriction on the Barnsville hill. As for the clearances CSX is using an "undercutter" to lower the roadbed. The "undercutter" is currently working on the Trenton line.