Railroad Forums 

• What are the white ties?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1142923  by CPSK

Hi;
I've been finding these white rr ties everywhere in NY and NJ (and assuming they're everywhere else too) using Google Earth.
I measure distances, look for CC boards, and other reasons they exist, but have found nothing.
Can someone tell me what these are for?

The image below was captured using Google Earth just east of Selkirk yard and CPSK.

http://s425.beta.photobucket.com/user/C ... 5.jpg.html

Here's another image; this one in Teaneck NJ on CSX River sub at West Englewood ave, a few feet south of the pedestrian tunnel under the tracks.

http://s425.beta.photobucket.com/user/C ... 3.jpg.html

Thanks for your help.

FW
 #1142968  by MBTA1016

The only thing I can think of is those are concrete ties. The mbta here in MA had a giant problem with them and replaced all most all of them I think.
 #1143118  by LocoCam

RussNelson wrote:I believe that CSX marks culverts with them.
Right, they mark where water crosses under the tracks.
 #1143202  by CPSK

Wow!
I never thought of that. I guess it makes sense; if heavy rains cause underground streams to overflow, tracks could be washed out or "dips" could form where the culverts collapse.

FW
 #1143534  by sd80mac

CPSK wrote:Wow!
I never thought of that. I guess it makes sense; if heavy rains cause underground streams to overflow, tracks could be washed out or "dips" could form where the culverts collapse.

FW
It's more for engineering and maintenance dept to find their culverts easier... it's same thing with roads. NYS have small yellow rectangle signs set up off the shoulder at where culverts are.
 #1143545  by Freddy

Painted more than my share,back in the day,on the Seaboard and then CSX. You'd repaint them every year during your regular trips making track inspections.
 #1143717  by CPSK

sd80mac wrote:

FW
It's more for engineering and maintenance dept to find their culverts easier... it's same thing with roads. NYS have small yellow rectangle signs set up off the shoulder at where culverts are.
So that's what those yellow triangles on the road shoulders are. I have done a lot of running in NY, and see them all the time. I had thought they were survey markers.
FW
 #1143718  by CPSK

Freddy wrote:Painted more than my share,back in the day,on the Seaboard and then CSX. You'd repaint them every year during your regular trips making track inspections.
You mean they're not just ties made from white wood <g>
I just found a set on the River sub between CP66 and CP69 where I can actually see the culvert and the water on GE.
FW
 #1143806  by Freddy

CPSK wrote:
Freddy wrote:Painted more than my share,back in the day,on the Seaboard and then CSX. You'd repaint them every year during your regular trips making track inspections.
You mean they're not just ties made from white wood <g>
I just found a set on the River sub between CP66 and CP69 where I can actually see the culvert and the water on GE.
FW
There were days when I wished there was white wood.
 #1143952  by sd80mac

CPSK wrote:
sd80mac wrote:

FW
So that's what those yellow triangles on the road shoulders are. I have done a lot of running in NY, and see them all the time. I had thought they were survey markers.
FW

cant PM to you.... you disabled your pm.