Railroad Forums 

• Tampa 14th Street Interlocking between CSX and TECO

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1125323  by samcevoy

I am performing a study for the FTA and have been unable to obtain some basic info from the CSX about the 14th Street Interlocking where the CSX crosses the TECO Streetcar Line in Tampa's Ybor City.

Is this an automatic interlocking or is it manually controlable by a Train Dispatcher?

What is the proper name of the CSX line?

What are the MAS speeds within the interlocking on the CSX line for passenger trains and for freight trains?

Does the CSX line have any form of cab signaling or train control at this time?

I would appreciate answers to any of these questions if you are knowledgeble about the facts. A pdf of the pertinent CSX employee-timetable pages would be appreciated.

If you want to talk, my daytime business number is 610-358-4396.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks.

Steve McEvoy
SYSTRA Consulting, Inc.
 #1125563  by mikey cruz

as far as speed goes AMTK slows down right there because of Union Station, but speed limit sign is 25 for the diamond.

http://youtu.be/Sd7-lOsLUTk?t=6m7s

there used to be a CSX pilot that had to ride every trolly through the diamond but now it's controlled completely by signals. DTC ends and ABS begins right at that diamond. The line is part of the Tampa division, Tampa terminal subdivision.
 #1125597  by samcevoy

Mikey Cruz:

Thanks. From what you wrote,

Tampa Terminal Subdivision is the official line name in CSX employee timetable.

25 speed diamond is for the crossing.

Do you know if this permits 25 P and 25 F?

If anyone could send me a pdf of the pertinent timetable page(s), that would be appreciated.

Steve McEvoy
 #1126611  by Noel Weaver

My timetable is two years old so I don't know if it is current or not but that interlocking is an automatic interlocking. The trolley uses a dwarf signal normally at stop and when the trolley gets close if there is no CSX train coming it clears for the trolley to cross. The speed is 25 MPH for both passenger and freight at that location. There is an error in the timetable and the crossing is at MP A881.6 but one page in the timetable shows A886.1. Track speed on the Clearwater Sub. is mostly 25 MPH but between Clearwater and St. Pete. it is no more than 10 MPH. It is a sad letdown from when the Champion and the Meteor were still running to St. Pete and right through the street in Clearwater. I remember it well and have lots of slides of them in Clearwater too.
Noel Weaver
 #1126622  by samcevoy

Hello Noel:

I owe you.

I have ridden through the interlocking on the trolley in both directions. I was told by the trolley folk that it is an automatic interlocking and you confirmed that - typical FIFO logic based on track-circuit occupancies.

Someone told me that the speed over the diamond is 25p/25f, and you confirmed that.

Someone told me that this is the CSX Tampa Terminal Subdivision.

Please confirm that your 2-year-old timetable calls this CSX line the Clearwater Subdivision on both sides of this automatic interlocking.

The trolley folk do not know and the CSX folk will not answer my e-mails or phone calls.

(I observed that it is DTC one side of the crossing and signaled on the other side.)

Please let me know.

Where are your living these days.

Steve
 #1127083  by Noel Weaver

samcevoy wrote:Hello Noel:

I owe you.

I have ridden through the interlocking on the trolley in both directions. I was told by the trolley folk that it is an automatic interlocking and you confirmed that - typical FIFO logic based on track-circuit occupancies.

Someone told me that the speed over the diamond is 25p/25f, and you confirmed that.

Someone told me that this is the CSX Tampa Terminal Subdivision.

Please confirm that your 2-year-old timetable calls this CSX line the Clearwater Subdivision on both sides of this automatic interlocking.

The trolley folk do not know and the CSX folk will not answer my e-mails or phone calls.

(I observed that it is DTC one side of the crossing and signaled on the other side.)

Please let me know.

Where are your living these days.

Steve
Hello Steve, this is definately the "Tampa Terminal Subdivision". I am not surprised that CSX will not help you, I think it is the nature of the beasts.
I am on the other coast, Fort Lauderdale to be precise. We have CSX, Tri-Rail and Amtrak on one double track line and the Florida East Coast on a superb single track line although there are two tracks here through Fort Lauderdale. I can watch trains on both lines with ATCS on both my home and laptops and I ride Tri-Rail from time to time as well. Not a bad place to be especially in the winter time.
Noel Weaver
 #1127511  by Noel Weaver

mikey cruz wrote:Hey Noel is the only way to the ATCS on the home computer to go to the Yahoo group?
Pretty much yes, you will be interviewed and be asked to answer some questions. If they approve your application, you will be able to access the software and benefit from the best thing that ever happened (in my opinion anyway) to our hobby of watching trains. Some parts of the country ATCS is of no use, very little in the northeast and none that I am aware of in New England. Here I can access both Tri-Rail/CSX and the Florida East Coast and for this senior it is great because I can get in my car when a train gets close on the FEC, watch it pass by and then head back home with no wasted time.
Noel Weaver