Railroad Forums 

• CSX freight route

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1097839  by Ironman

That's an ad. It's simplifed beacuse the average person won't know or care about Selkirk, the point is to represent the 500 miles.
 #1098040  by Noel Weaver

The puzzle in that ad is that CSX no longer operates the line between New Haven (Cedar Hill) and Springfield and they only run local freight service between New Haven and New York. Basically there is no CSX operation between Bridgeport and Darien where they serve a lumber yard. Darien and Mamaroneck are served by a local out of Croton West Yard probably as required and I doubt if every day.
Noel Weaver
 #1098156  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Ironman wrote:That's an ad. It's simplifed beacuse the average person won't know or care about Selkirk, the point is to represent the 500 miles.
Well...if they're doing major cities, is Albany not a major city and big-freakin'-deal freight crossroads? Even for Marketing purposes that's an oversight. And, yeah, as noted they don't even have rights on the Springfield Line anymore. That went by the boards when Conrail dished off most of CT to B&M 30 years ago. Springfield Line's CSO and (sorta) PAS.
 #1098195  by frrc

Probably a marketing gimmick, as a "straight line" or "direct route" looks better than going to Selkirk, then East to Boston, which is more than 500 miles... Besides most people never heard of Selkirk.
 #1098289  by Noel Weaver

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
Ironman wrote:That's an ad. It's simplifed beacuse the average person won't know or care about Selkirk, the point is to represent the 500 miles.
Well...if they're doing major cities, is Albany not a major city and big-freakin'-deal freight crossroads? Even for Marketing purposes that's an oversight. And, yeah, as noted they don't even have rights on the Springfield Line anymore. That went by the boards when Conrail dished off most of CT to B&M 30 years ago. Springfield Line's CSO and (sorta) PAS.
Albany is pretty much a "major city" in so far as the northeast is concerned with CSX. Every car to New England from anywhere on CSX has to pass through or around Selkirk. There is also a considerable amount of local business around this general area. Selkirk is probably the busiest yard on all of CSX except for maybe Waycross, GA. I am sure that freight customers in Massachusetts care very much about Selkirk and Albany.
Noel Weaver
 #1098714  by Ironman

I don't think the ad is aimed at shippers. It's a feel good PR ad for regular people. In that context, Selkirk or Albany don't matter.
 #1098911  by jaymac

Looks like someone was trying to go the Patriot Corridor one better...
 #1098915  by Ocala Mike

What ironman said. It's not a "Railway Age" type ad to appeal to movers and shakers, but an ad designed to put CSX in a favorable light vis a vis John Q. Public. Think of the nexus of population around the 500 miles pictured; probably have 50% of the country's population within 100 miles of that line.
 #1099063  by mainetrain

I'm sorry

But if I'm a major corporation and my route is down Main street USA, that is what I promote.

As a business owner (not freight, but that's not the point), I find this ad terribly misleading.

CSX deisels pulling stack trains under the Hudson River to New York City then up to New Haven? really? All to promote how much fuel we spend hauling your freight from Washington to Boston?

Dear customer: "I'm sorry sir, our numbers are a little off, you will have to pay a wee bit more, you see, we had to go through Albany, blah blah blah...."

I think they should pull it. Genreal public ignorance or not. My $.02
 #1099195  by Ironman

I don't find the ad to be misleading, in fact I think the ad is very clear. The point of the ad is the fact that a ton of freight can go 500 miles on one gallon of fuel. The ad is just saying that is the distance from DC to Boston, so that the average person seeing the ad can get a general idea of how far that is. It's a PR ad for the genreal public so that when your grade crossings are blocked you can at least take heart knowing that trains are green.

I know this is a fan site, but you can't really expect them to show every minute detail in a general PR ad. Minutiae like you are bringing up would just make the ad's target tune out. This ad is perfectly in line with similar style ads for other major companies.