Railroad Forums 

• One headed absolute signal in CSX?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1077263  by train2

Passed through Hamlet, NC a few weeks back and some of the older Seaboard Coast Line signals have been replaced. Of particular interest, I noticed the southbound absolute signal guarding the diamond at the Hamlet station is now a single head without its numberplate. (it replaced a double headed signal if my memory is correct.) Now I know in signal rules the lack of the number plate makes it an absolute. But in reality how often do any of you see this done? Almost every other NEW installation at an interlocking/absolute is a two headed signal capable of displaying red over red.

In other words while possible under the rules, I have rarely if ever seen this done. The signal in question does lack any diverging routes so it works for the application, but for something as important as a diamond I wondered how other locations with new signals are being handled?

T2
 #1077282  by ExCon90

I don't know about CSX specifically, but I believe the practice is fairly common where there are no diverging routes, such as at automatic interlockings where two railroads cross at a diamond with nothing else there. If I recall correctly, Metrolink in Los Angeles even places single-head signals on both tracks at the end of two main tracks, or where a siding joins the main, the logic being that movement over the switch from the siding or the second main to single track is subject to the speed shown in the timetable for that switch, therefore a clear indication is legitimate. It seems a little bizarre to Eastern eyes, but apparently under GCOR, at the distant to such an interlocking, a green on the straight main means clear; a green on the other main or the siding means proceed approaching next signal at the speed prescribed for a diverging route at that interlocking.
 #1077317  by JayBee

ExCon90 wrote:I don't know about CSX specifically, but I believe the practice is fairly common where there are no diverging routes, such as at automatic interlockings where two railroads cross at a diamond with nothing else there. If I recall correctly, Metrolink in Los Angeles even places single-head signals on both tracks at the end of two main tracks, or where a siding joins the main, the logic being that movement over the switch from the siding or the second main to single track is subject to the speed shown in the timetable for that switch, therefore a clear indication is legitimate. It seems a little bizarre to Eastern eyes, but apparently under GCOR, at the distant to such an interlocking, a green on the straight main means clear; a green on the other main or the siding means proceed approaching next signal at the speed prescribed for a diverging route at that interlocking.
Under GCOR there is no speed signalling other than Yellow indicates medium speed prepared to stop at next signal. For example if you approach a siding where the train you are to meet has arrived and is holding the main track, with the switch at the other end of the siding already aligned for movement back onto the main, you will see Red over Green Diverging clear, and you better know what speed the switch is good for because it could be good for 45mph or 10mph. All the signal is telling you is that no other train occupies the siding and the signal at the other end indicates approach or better.
 #1077429  by Noel Weaver

I can well remember locations on Conrail where they had one light home (absolute) signals. This dates back to New York Central and Penn Central as well.
I don't think one light home signals are at all uncommon in the industry.
Noel Weaver
 #1078134  by roadster

I recaller that there are 2 locations in Central Florida, when I was working outa Miami. "Marcey" which gaurded the former crossing with the FEC south of Indiantown on the A-Line, and East of Auburnale on the S Line, was a "Holdout" signal. Both absolute stops with a single light aspect. Even at Syracuse, NY, on the former Conrail/NYC, track 4 Eastbound from Dewitt yard at Minoa, there is a single light absolute on a signal bridge. We refer to it as the "porchlight" if you are ever listening to the yard channel on a scanner.